Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just knew all those descriptions of gearbox noises sounded familiar. I left my up resting at home today and went for a bike ride. I was coming out of a village when a car overtook me (Citroen c4) and changed gear. There was that noise! Then another one came past and did the same thing. You hear that sound all the time as a cyclist and hardly ever when driving a big, insulated modern car unless you 're in a tunnel with the windows down.

Fuel consumption on bike over 45k = I bacon roll, 1 cup of tea, I banana, I ice cream. I think 45 k in the up would have been cheaper!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi yapmaul what bike do you ride? Shimano or campagnolo? I love riding around Norfolk, the single track roads around the costal areas are virtually car free nowadays. There's a great bike shop called 'fat birds don't fly' stated in burnham market, rode around Sandringham, holt etc fab!?.. And yes there are hills in Norfolk but the mountains there are not up to much!

Have you a roof rack for your bike on the up? I have worked it out I can just about get my carbon bike in the back with both wheels off and sears down... But it's tight!Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Markmod1 said:
Hi yapmaul what bike do you ride? Shimano or campagnolo? I love riding around Norfolk, the single track roads around the costal areas are virtually car free nowadays. There's a great bike shop called 'fat birds don't fly' stated in burnham market, rode around Sandringham, holt etc fab!?.. And yes there are hills in Norfolk but the mountains there are not up to much!

Have you a roof rack for your bike on the up? I have worked it out I can just about get my carbon bike in the back with both wheels off and sears down... But it's tight!
I ride a touring bike, hand built by a local bike shop. You're right about the roads, you can ride for miles and not see a car. I don't think I could get my bike in the back of the up - it has mudguards and racks, and even in my old car it would always push up against the front seats. So yes I'm trying to work out which bars and carrier to buy. Any ideas welcome! If I hadn't just bought a car I'd like one of these to pop in the boot! http://www.bikerepublic.com/moulton-tsr-30/

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yapmaul I went with Thule for my roof bars and bike rack. They are top notch but quite expensive, but not as much as the vw option. You do get what you pay for and these are the best!

With mudguards and racks you will need the mountain bike type one i beleive, which has the downtube support arm (lockable) rather than the front fork mount (requires you to remove front wheel and clamps front forks with its quick release mount) variety I expect.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Markmad, pretty much what I was thinking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts