Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what cars were previously owned by forum members that now own or have orderd an UP! GTI.

So post your cars (with pictures please) here!

My car before buying the UP! GTI was a 1988 Mercedes Benz 190e 2.3-16v cosworth that I used as a daily driver untill it was stolen.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
In my 13 years of driving I've had circa 25-30 cars, nothing exotic - some good and some real rough bangers. Many previous Fords: Fiesta Mk2 XR2s, Mk3 XR2i, Fiesta and Focus Zetec S' & Fiesta ST. Fair few Vauxhalls: Corsa SRi 1.8, Corsa Sri 1.4, Corsa Sport 1.6 and a dreadful old Vectra. Fair few Peugeot 106s, my favourite being an XSi spec - peppy for a 1.4.

My previous car, pictured just before sale with 30k on the clock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It depends,

I bought my first car back in november, a 1995 V6 Audi A4, at a price of 5000sek (500ish pound). It was great, until it started leaking brake fluid. And then, only three days after the brake fluid happened, i lost my left rear wheel on my way to work. Had it for 15 days.

Then in december i bought a 1991 Mazda 323 for 1500 sek (150ish pounds), in january the waterpump borke, but since it could go exactly 12 kilometers before boiling and my commute is 11km one way i kept it going for a couple of weeks :D, however when the was due for an M.O.T. i figured it was time to kill it of.

At this point i gave up owning cheap cars and decided to buy something brand new, first i had a look at some Skoda Fabia's and Polos but then saw James May reviewing the GTI. Ordered the GTI unseen and with contact only through email with the dealer.

Beeing aware that it would be many months until delivery i started a long term rental at a rental company. There i started with a Hyundai i20, went on to a diesel Kia Cee'd and for the last three weeks a brand new (11km on the clock at pickup) 3 cyl Golf.

You could say i finally found peace with GTI haha :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Having owned all manor of sporty cars, from hatchbacks - Golf GTIs (Mk3 disappointing, Mk7 fast to the point of licence endangering), Leon Cupra (mk1 superb in every respect) to an Alfa 156 (sublime with woeful build quality) as well a numerous Mini Coopers (old and new), I sold my Golf Mk 7 (with DSG) and bought my teen age daughters a Citigo each and shared the Red Monte Carlo with younger one daughter (teaching her to drive in it whilst she was at school) the elder daughter took her Citigo off to the other end of the country whilst at Uni.

After three years driving the Monte Carlo the younger daughter is due to take her car off to Uni with her. I was so bowled over with the Citigo I decided I wanted one as our second car but with more power hence the GTI (family car is a boringly predictable Audi SUV).

Funny thing is I loved the Monte Carlo and whilst the UP GTI is superior to it most respects it doesn't tug at the heart strings in the same way. Especially the so-so interior fabrics. The Citigo is just as much fun just slower in a straight line which means you work it harder through the corners - in some respects its more fun as a result. But embarrassingly slow going up hill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Previous to the Up GTi l had in order

BMW Z3 3.0
Lotus Elise S2
Ferrari Mondial t
Porsche 928 S4
Defender 90 TD5
Mini Cooper
MX5 1.8
Golf 1.6s
Polo 1.4
Lupo 1.4s
Alfa 145 2.0 Cloverleaf
Fiat Punto
Renault 5GT Turbo
Peugeot 205 XS
Renault 5 GT Turbo
Opel Manta GTE
MG Metro
Fiat Panda
Fiat Strava 65cl
Triumph Vitesse MK2
Triumph Vitesse MK1
Triumph Herald 1200

·
Registered
122 Posts
Currently running a 2017 Vegas Yellow S3 Sportback, Black Edition

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a 2013 F10 BMW M5, although an incredible car, it just wasn’t useable power in the real world. Too fast and too quick to devour a full fuel tank. My wife has had 60bhp Up for the past 3 years and more often than not I found myself driving it and enjoying it every time. Like others have said they are great cars in standard form but always just needed that bit more power. I think the Up GTi is just right, practical, a lot bigger inside than it looks, good on fuel, currently getting around 53mpg on my 90 mile daily motorway commute and easily quick enough, which really did surprise me, especially the torque. On the motorway it will easily pull away from other cars in 5th and 6th gear makes it relaxing enough to drive for long periods of time. All in all I’m impressed with it. Things I would change...

• The headlights really need to be xenon or LED in this day and age, even if only on a superficial level so the colour temperature matches the day light running LED’s

• The gearbox apart from the extra cog I’d say is lifted straight from the standard car, as it feels no different in back to back comparison. So this would benefit from feeling a little different.

• It’s a touch hard for such a small car so maybe some improvement on the suspension set up.

• A leather interior option would be nice, to give it that extra luxury feel, it has a bigger car feel in every other respect but the seats although retro I think cheapen it a little.

• Staying on the interior, I feel a factory fitted front arm rest would be a nice addition especially on a longer drive.

All in all though I like it, I like it a lot and the improvements I’ve mentioned above would just make it perfect in my opinion. Forget all reviews that say it’s not a quick car, trust me I’ve had plenty of quick cars, the last one having nearly 6 times as much power! And that’s all well and good but in a real world scenario where the roads are littered with potholes, speed bumps, speed cameras and traffic, where can you use that sort of power? This is where something like the Up! Is a perfect daily car, yes not the fastest thing on earth, not the biggest thing you can buy but it’s very cheap for what it is and if you add on some of the more worthwhile options it could be the only car you really need.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The trouble is, all these worthwhile improvements would likely put the price at £18,000 and that ruins much of the proposition really.

It can't snipe at the Polo GTi or low engine Golfs

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did a quote on drivethedeal.com when first considering the car and checked every option except mud-flaps and little things that you don’t need and it came to about £16k so while not £14k it’s still not terrible and comes nowhere near the polo GTi even with the boxes ticked. The lead time ending up being ridiculous so I got an ex demo in the end, while I wait for the crowds to disappear then i’ll get another one which is optioned.

I don’t think the things I mentioned would make it that much more expensive than it already it as facelift car, but even if it did it would be all the better for it. As it is though I’m happy enough with it without any options, apart from it being a 5 door with a height adjustable passenger seat (exciting)! Anyway that my two pence worth, just thought I’d share my story on it so far.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Would be good to have an LED option available as there are a few that would go for it, but I probably wouldn't have ticked that box myself. I'll put the shocks through their paces once I've got the car before deciding whether to go for some coilovers or not but I was of the opinion that they were on the softer side.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts