Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent posting of the whatcar ownership diary for their up! said;

----------
Typical. The first few weeks of hot weather we've had all summer and the Up's air-conditioning decides to pack up.

I thought it'd be a simple case of a re-gas (a fairly simple job that usually costs £30-£50), but it turned out that a stone had freakishly flicked up off the road and punctured the air-con compressor.

The bill for a replacement unit was an eye-watering £710, and because the damage wasn't caused by a mechanical defect, the cost wasn't covered by the Up's three-year warranty. Ouch.
---------
I'm wondering if a engine base cover would have saved it from happening?
I'm also wondering how a metal case could be punctured by a stone? Where is the compressor?

LinkEdited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
140 Posts
My goodness.. That's not what you want.. Especially within the first few weeks of getting your new car..
That doesn't seem right a little stone to go flying up and puncturing the compressor.. In my opinion this should be fixed under warrenty. I would even be tempted to give the car back to the garage!! £710!! Ridiculous!! I'm getting angry and it's not even my car..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seems strange for a stone to have done this. I suspect a larger piece of debris was involved.
I can't see how the dealer would be responsible for such an incident. Unless poor design or poor choice of components could be proved to have played a factor?

·
Registered
438 Posts
If anyone has a similar problem with their aircon, could they let a Will at What Car know. They've been looking for similar cases but haven't found any yet. His email is [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts