Up Owners Club banner

Wheel and suspension combo?

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  2020mad 
#1 ·
Hi all. brand new to the forum but I've been in to my VWs for about 17 years now,,, mainly Mk2 golf GTI's

Just ordered a light blue take up and cant wait for delivery.

As soon as it arrives I want to make it look a bit more presentable ;)
I am looking to fit some nice wheels probably BBS CH or LM either 16 or 17 inch.
I am also looking at dropping the suspension however it will be a daily ride and needs to cope wit the odd speed bump or two, so nothing mega low.

I have seen the white UP! on here with LM's fitted, does anyone have a picture with CH's fitted?

Does anyone have any other classy looking wheel suggestions? nothing to chavy or boy racerish.

Also what would be the best suspension to go for? it needs to retain a bit of comfort as I will be doing a 40 mile a day commute.

Any photos of a nice set of wheels on a lowered VW UP! would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance to you all!

See less See more
#2 ·
Evening, welcome!
I must say, the LMs would look good, I've gone with a set if Keskin KY4s, a very similar looking wheel.
Mine also is a daily driver, I've gone with a set of Weitec coilovers, although I don't do a great deal of mileage, so I'll be winding em as low as I can get away with!
Make sure you post some pics as soon as you get it then!Edited by: Davec86

#12 ·
Go for something different to BBS, they are such a 'default' choice of wheel, you can go to any show and 50% of every car there has BBS of somesort on.

Coilovers will give you a good drop and still make the car able to bridge speed bumps. Mine still clears most with ease, although the black front lip under the bumper sometimes scrapes a little.

#13 ·
shakotanVIP said:
Go for something different to BBS, they are such a 'default' choice of wheel, you can go to any show and 50% of every car there has BBS of somesort on.

Coilovers will give you a good drop and still make the car able to bridge speed bumps. Mine still clears most with ease, although the black front lip under the bumper sometimes scrapes a little.
In that case you haven't gone low enough ;-)
I saw one if those meme things in Facebook the other day, describing BBS as herpes of the VAG scene. So very true!

#14 ·
Davec86 said:
shakotanVIP said:

In that case you haven't gone low enough ;-)
I saw one if those meme things in Facebook the other day, describing BBS as herpes of the VAG scene. So very true!

Any lower and I'd start reducing available steering lock!

It's not just the VAG scene, bloody BBS are everywhere. It's such a 'go to' choice and really doesn't show any thought or originaliity. That's not mean to be an insult to the OP, btw.

#18 ·
I have the "sport pack" on my Up and was shocked when I tried to get it insured! The insurance were initially not happy that it had lowered suspension and tinted windows and "different" alloys. Eventually I managed to speak to a real, non jobs-worth human who finally understood that it was factory fitted and therefore safe and legal. But I would have had real trouble if the job was after-market. Just be carful with any mods

#19 ·
Everyone is intitled to their own thoughts and opinions, obviously. There is no denying that BBS make some cracking looking wheels, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular, and they clearly suit VAG cars too.
Maybe look at 3SDM or Fifteen52? I'd quite like a set of Porsche D90s or teledials. The possibilities are endless.

#21 ·
I told my insurance about lowering and alloys on mine as soon as i wanted insurance, mind you i think over last 18 years all my cars and vans have aftermarket alloys and most were lowered, as long as you state all mods and are honest with insurance there really is no probs.
Not seen snowflakes fitted yet, guess it depends what size you run. my mate had a set of 14 or 15x8 on his mk1polo a good few years ago looked really nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.