Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local shopping centre was showing a red high up and couldn't help myself to have more of a look. I did notice that under the wheel arches it didn't seem to have the plastic moulding covering making it easier to clean etc but was instead all open. I can't say I noticed this when I ordered mine. Is this normal? Felt like something was missing.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
mayne thats one of the little things theyve saved money on....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi I had a look at the inner Wheel Arches and the front W/A has got a plastic insert to keep the spray at bay, the rear hasn't, but Me thinks... because it has a galvanised body and the lower back panel / rearbumper is plastic anyway I can't see any problems ! it's a great car !!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
highupmike said:
Hi I had a look at the inner Wheel Arches and the front W/A has got a plastic insert to keep the spray at bay, the rear hasn't, but Me thinks... because it has a galvanised body and the lower back panel / rearbumper is plastic anyway I can't see any problems ! it's a great car !!!

I'm with you on that.

Less weight too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
VWXYZ said:
highupmike said:

I'm with you on that.

Less weight too.

The rear arches seem to be spray coated with some kind of protective layer. I just had a look at one we have on loan at work. I am happy that no other protection is required..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed that if the tyres pick up stones, which are thrown into the wheel arches there's a metalic sound. This was what made me notice there wasno wheel arch liners. As long as they don't chip and cause a corrosion problem I suppose it isn't important. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My old Honda civic was the same with metallic noises. I guess the coating it quite thick like concrete? Would be interested to know what it's made of.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I noticed that when I first saw an Up. It feels like a pliable plastic, presumably a protective rubberised paint. I think it is also on the underside of the car at the edges, and possibly underneath though I have not checked. Frankly I have had two city cars die at 10 years of age due in part to underside rust, and I tend to suspect the Up will be the same, but time will tell. These small cars are not designed to last a long while. (I refer of course to small cars in general, not the Up specifically.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Reference the underside and specially the rear inner wheelarch areas etc, these areas are usually sprayed with underbody sealer in the paint shop, then cured passing through an oven. I think if you keep an eye on the underside in general and you specifically hose those areas down ... more so in the winter months as the grit/salt is a metal killer ...as long as you hose down with clean water, your UP! should last and last... I worked at Ford for 35 yrs 25 yrs of that time I was in the Paint Shop, I saw with my own eyes some bodies left outside in all weathers just bear metal and they didn't rust all because they had been galvanised. The UP! is galvanised, coated with a thick sealant and painted... I think there should be no problems.I'm enjoying this forum and helping me pass the time until I pick up my UP! I ordered my white High Up on the 10th April Im so thrilled with anticipation !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello Hoppy I'm not sure about mud flaps I do know that I've seen where they anchor them to the w/arch they can cause a break in the paint I suppose they can be a benefit, not sure is my real answer lol I know I'm not going to get any more weight and I like to see the body-work, keeping a check on any defects...

·
Registered
553 Posts
One of our first cars was an early Polo and the arches front & rear had no plastic cover I'm pretty sure this led to the front end of the wings rusting from the inside out!
I don't think they had the same paint treatment then! But we've had Beetles with zero rust or rot! and they were much older!

·
Registered
39 Posts
When l picked up my UP! In the rain l was disappointed on how much noise there was coming from the wheel arch. Cost saving a bit too far.

·
Registered
727 Posts
ccup said:
In the rain l was disappointed on how much noise there was coming from the wheel arch.
Noise coming from the wheel arch..?

I don't know what your last car was but myself coming from a Lupo to the up! I have to say the up! is much quieter than the Lupo was..!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm certain there are no wheel arch liners in the Lupo. Mine is 9 years old and rust free... and relatively quiet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts