Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have ordered a High Up! in candy white with black gloss wheels.

On the VW configurator when the wheel options come up(!) it shows a centre cap finished in black which is what we were expecting.

A member on here has sent us a picture of her black gloss wheels and two things are apparant...

...the wheels are not black at all, they are a darker shade of grey (probably a hint of black in the basic paint colour?).

...the centre cap is white instead of black.

as we have ordered a white car we are guessing the white caps will look fine.

But, does anyone with greater knowledge, know if we can specify a black centre cap on the High Ups 15" wheels?

thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You'll have to order them separately at a cost of £45 although they are currently not available for immediate delivery. I've got the sports pack on mine and the wheels came with white centre caps which is standard so have ordered a set of the black ones.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
funkdubious said:
You'll have to order them separately at a cost of £45 although they are currently not available for immediate delivery. I've got the sports pack on mine and the wheels came with white centre caps which is standard so have ordered a set of the black ones.

Thanks funkdubious.

Do you know if the centre caps are the same size on the 16" and 15" wheels?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I'm sure the wheels are a proper glossy black and not a dark grey, I'm sure one of the guys who has them will confirm/deny this...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the members has sent me pic's of hers and they are nowhere near black.

They are the usual colour with a slight hint of glossy black.

Black wheel centres apparently fit all Up! wheels and cost £45 as Funkdubious says.

We will stick with white as our car is white!

Hopefully the black wheel centres will be good for owners with non-white(!) cars if they don't like the standard fit white centres. eg and imho white wheel centres on silver or black cars look plain awful. Others may differ on this of course.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you look at my pics i can assure you the Sport pack 'Triangle Black' alloys inner sections are 100% BLACK, with the outer edge in a glossy silver. They are amazing and the white centre caps work well on a white car, but not in other colours. The other alloys which you refer to I think are indeed a dark grey colour. Strange name description!

Edited by: MarkyMark

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MarkyMark said:
If you look at my pics i can assure you the Sport pack 'Triangle Black' alloys inner sections are 100% BLACK, with the outer edge in a glossy silver. They are amazing and the white centre caps work well on a white car, but not in other colours. The other alloys which you refer to I think are indeed a dark grey colour. Strange name description!
Yup - it is strange that they are called gloss black when they are grey - and not particularly dark grey at that!

Would be nice if the dealers had some decent size pictures of the wheel options too.

Same with paint swatches.

Edited by: Dan

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wouldn't even describe it as 'dark grey' - but although called black, they are definitely not black. Stainless has posted my close-up of them elsewhere, so everyone can see for themselves. I actually queried whether I have the right wheels, and was assured these are the black spoke high gloss. Dealer agreed they do not look at all black! To my eyes they don't really look different from the normal spoke wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
oh i see.... i thought we were talking about the sports ones not the spoke ones! DOH!

from looking at the pictures put up, they do look slightly darker, but not that much different than the normal spoke ones

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here they are - from another post elsewhere on the forum...nice! Definitely not black!

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
yes, they are nice and not black at all, but they are darker than the other spoke alloys!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Black spoke high gloss wheels

Here's another close up of them from a different angle: they are DEFINITELY not black. The inside of the spokes is the same colour as the inside rim of the wheel (glossy silver, a light colour). The face of the spokes is a bit greyer than that, but not 100% black as was described for the sports wheels, and as the name would suggest:

Edited by: Violet

·
Registered
107 Posts
According to VW, it's the 'glossiness' of the spokes that's the key difference from the normal spoke wheels, which they say are more of a rough texture. I have to say I can't see a big difference, and they admitted they looked virtually identical in the photos they had, but maybe it's a subtle difference, hard to see on a photo?

I am going to my local dealer's for the first time tomorrow (to get my m&m fixed, which froze beyond any fix when I updated the software online via my Mac) and will see if they have a high up! there to compare alloys with.

I am also hoping to snap the light blue next to a white car there, so that forum users can see the light blue colour on the car better, if anyone's interested ...

I've also called (and, on their advice, now written) VW to ask about the centre caps, which on these wheels are black on the VW configurator's illustration of the car, but white on the real car!

Edited by: Violet

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi
Just rechecked eBay...centre caps black are done in various sizes ...£7.99. To.£9.99.......so measure before you order. Regards

1 - 20 of 27 Posts