Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a puncture yesterday on my UP so I got the spare out to change the wheels over but I could not get the wheel off the car. It just refused to come off !

I was not far from home so I drove back as the punctured wheel was not flat and I could safely try again on my drive.I tried various ways and finally got the wheel off.

I thought I would share with you a method (I found on the web) for removing a stuck wheel:

Jack the car up, remove the wheel bolts and if you are lucky it might just come off. If it's stuck on put the bolts back on hand tight, lower the car and remove the jack. Unwind the bolts a bit, not much about half a turn then shake the life out of the car by pulling on the tyre. You should eventually feel the wheel move with a bit of sideways play, you can then jack the car up again, remove the bolts and hopefully the wheel.

It works for me !

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
252 Posts
The tyre places often use a rubber mallet on the back of the tyre to ease the wheel from the hub, but I wouldn't recommend doing that if the car is just on a standard car jack. Your method sounds a good one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Loosen the wheel bolts and screw back on finger tight. Drive the car fowards and backwards 2-3m and the wheel will crack itself off the hub.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is the classic stuck-on-alloys problem.

The most common and least risky method to fix this is with a cheap rubber mallet to the back of the wheel, while making sure it doesn't damage anything when it falls off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
smargh said:
This is the classic stuck-on-alloys problem.

The most common and least risky method to fix this is with a cheap rubber mallet to the back of the wheel, while making sure it doesn't damage anything when it falls off.

Great if car on trolley jack or better still a ramp, but risky if on small jack that comes with car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This happened to me as well, when I had to take my Classic alloys off when changing to winter tyres/wheels last year, only on the fronts. To stop it happening again I applied Copaslip to the inside of the hole in the centre of the wheels, and/or the hub itself. This year, the wheels came off without any trouble at all. The alloys are a pretty tight fit on the hub and it seems as though reaction between alloy wheel and steel hub causes enough corrosion to bind the two together. Taking off the steel winter wheels wasn't a problem at all, more clearance and therefore no corrosion or binding.

Hope this helps, it might be better to take the wheels off and apply Copaslip or similar when you have time, rather than have to struggle when you're trying to change a wheel in a hurry in the wet and dark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts