Up Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just wanted a bit of reassurance as I’ve got an up! & it’s my first car so I’m new to this! I got an advisory on my mot that my rear wheels were beginning to crack so I will need to get some new ones soon. I’ve been looking online at prices & on one website it said to make sure you bring your anti theft locking nut with you, I’ve checked my spare wheel kit & it appears I don’t have one. I’ve taken the trims off my wheels tonight & I’m pretty sure I just have standard bolts on my wheels, I placed the box spanner on the bolts & they all seemed a snug fit. Can anyone confirm that these are just the standard bolts & I don’t need to get a fancy nut to unlock them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone, I just wanted a bit of reassurance as I’ve got an up! & it’s my first car so I’m new to this! I got an advisory on my mot that my rear wheels were beginning to crack so I will need to get some new ones soon. I’ve been looking online at prices & on one website it said to make sure you bring your anti theft locking nut with you, I’ve checked my spare wheel kit & it appears I don’t have one. I’ve taken the trims off my wheels tonight & I’m pretty sure I just have standard bolts on my wheels, I placed the box spanner on the bolts & they all seemed a snug fit. Can anyone confirm that these are just the standard bolts & I don’t need to get a fancy nut to unlock them? View attachment 6812
They are standard bolts.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What Jim said. Those are steel wheels, less likely to be nicked, so no need for extra security.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm on steels 5-6 months of the year with winter tyres and the stock 15'' VW alloys the rest of the time. The locking bolts are a faff and I will dump them next wheel change. I also worry about the sheer factor, as I use a gun, 2 cars, 8 wheels 72 nuts actions (off and on)
Not sure anybody wants my 15'' alloys that bad Vs the safety and security of NOT having to find/ trust the locking wheel nut adaptor
HOWEVER, is you have a set of mint 17'' Carlos Fandangos (showing my age) you may feel differently !

·
Registered
325 Posts
Especially with the centre caps that cover the nuts completely, I imagine the risk of some scrote pulling off the centre caps on a set of 15's on the off chance there are no locking wheel nuts must be pretty slim.

·
Registered
326 Posts
How appropriate that "The Ash" is back with that one.
For a long time when I heard the term ‘barn find’ I was always reminded of the closing part of that ad. And thus all true ‘barn finds’ must be a Ford Anglebox, wheels ripped off with a skeleton trapped inside and an empty box of cigars.

·
Registered
325 Posts
OMG that advert ! "When I've just had the kind of crash that can rupture fuel lines, the first thing I like to do is light a cigar".

·
Registered
326 Posts
OMG that advert ! "When I've just had the kind of crash that can rupture fuel lines, the first thing I like to do is light a cigar".
It was the 1980’s (maybe even the 70’s), advertising was a little less PC back then and more entertaining for it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty nostalgic for it :)

Someone on another forum just posted the video to Fountains of Wayne - Stacey's Mom. Happier times !

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm on steels 5-6 months of the year with winter tyres and the stock 15'' VW alloys the rest of the time. The locking bolts are a faff and I will dump them next wheel change. I also worry about the sheer factor, as I use a gun, 2 cars, 8 wheels 72 nuts actions (off and on)
Not sure anybody wants my 15'' alloys that bad Vs the safety and security of NOT having to find/ trust the locking wheel nut adaptor
HOWEVER, is you have a set of mint 17'' Carlos Fandangos (showing my age) you may feel differently !
I have done as you are planning to do. Never been a fan of locking nuts since two of them got stuck on my wife's Corsa years ago. Ever since then I remove them on any car I buy, and bung on four normal studs. Probably as I am very rural, there is much less chnace of the wheels getting knicked. But I reckon if I had the 17's on the Gti, and knowing how much they sell for on eBay, I think I would be fitting two sets of lockers to them. Haha.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Takes me back, my brother and I both had Anglia's, mine was a posh 1200 DeLux and Bro's was a 1 ltr, happy days (no alloys, although I did have chrome finishers !) 😉

·
Registered
326 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty nostalgic for it :)

Someone on another forum just posted the video to Fountains of Wayne - Stacey's Mom. Happier times !
They weren’t wrong, Stacy’s mother did indeed have it ‘going on’. Her part was played in the video by one of Rod Stewart’s ex’s Rachel Hunter who 18 years later still appears to have it ‘going on’.

I’m always reminded of Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus when I hear that song, the vid had Mena Suvari in it who was in the film American Beauty, a most excellent piece of cinema.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
hi and welcome

you mentioned the wheels, are you sure its not the tyres?! tyres can crack very easily due to underinflation and also old age or just sitting in the sun and the rubber perrishes so they begin to crack.

you have steel wheels which steel doesnt generally crack, but will more likely buckle/ dent. alloy wheels are prone to cracking.

also you have the standard wheel nuts. no need to worry about any locking wheel nut key. very unlikely but it does happen that even steel wheels do get stolen aswell. for what its worth i would get some cheap universal locking wheel nuts off of ebay for under £20.

if you do wish to get a cheap set of allot wheels to set off the car, then they can be picked up very cheaply too. most 4x100 wheels will fit, minimum centrebore of 57.1mm and youre good to go. alloys can be picked up from ebay with decent tyres fromt £60-150 for a cheap decent set of wheels with decent tyres which sometimes works out cheaper as you get new looks plus tyres! i managed to get the wheels in my profile pic for £90, 17 inch genuine masiltaly wheels. no crack, no buckles with 2 new tyres and 2 tyres with over 4mm tread. recently sold them for £150 lol, as they were, unpainted, oh with all tyres on near 2-3mm tread at the time of sale!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Just a word of caution on the above re s/h alloys. You must be sure to get 4 x 100mm pcd (distance between stud holes), and with the correct offset for an UP.. Anything between around 37 & 42mm offset should be ok, (most front wheel drive cars with a 4 x 100 pcd), but anything with a much smaller offset won't work, or will upset the steering geometry.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
ive had all sorts of whacky offsets before, and if theres been clash with the calipers, easily resolved with some spacer shims... but yes, much be cautious of the offset but usually nothing to worry about with general wheel choice. especially if you stick to the older genuine VW golf / Lupo / polo wheels. direct fit with no issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts