Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a flat tyre on the car today so I changed the wheel, very pleased I paid for a spare.

Anyone know what the wheel nut torque setting are ?
(guessing about 70-80 foot pounds )

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Don't forget it depends which model you have wether or not you have a spare wheel. For some models eg High Up it is a get you home wheel and you should restrict the distance and speed you drive with it on.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bevee .... I am at home ..

No garages open now so I will swop wheels and swop then back next week when I can get to a garage.
I think you are limited to 50mph with the spare.

What about the torque settings ?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Beevee - my High Up has a full sized steel rim wheel and tyre as standard.And I have just been outside to check - it is full size.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I assume your car came with a spare wheel as standard. Last year the spare wheel was an optional extra. I believe the wheel provided was as specified for the Take Up and not the same size as the wheels on the High Up. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
30 Posts
I paid £50 for spare for my high Up earlier this year as an optional extra. It is a 165/70/14 whereas my alloys are 185/55/15.

I am no expert, but I think this means the alloy wheel/tyres are about 1cm greater in diameter than the spare, so that is the reason it is speed restricted?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ospreywatcher said:
Beevee - my High Up has a full sized steel rim wheel and tyre as standard.And I have just been outside to check - it is full size.
Mine is a full size spare on a steel wheel like yours ospreywatcher !

·
Registered
97 Posts
A new High up! seems to come with 5.5J x 15" "Spoke" alloy wheels as standard fitted with 185/55 R15 tyres and a "Full size steel spare wheel." Are you both saying that you have a 15" steel spare wheel fitted with 185/55 R 15 tyres? Is this steel wheel a 5.5J x 15" one exactly the same size as your "Spoke" alloy wheels? If so, I'd love to have the VAG part number that must be stamped on the wheel as I'd possibly like 15" steel wheels to fit winter tyres to.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robbybrook I have a Falcon Sincera spare on a steel rim.

It's pouring down with rain at the moment but I will have a look for you when I can and if it is exactly the same as the others I'll get the number off the wheel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ANORAK ALERT!!!

Got my maths wrong above

15" Alloys with 185/55/15 has a diameter in mm of (15x 25.4) + 2(185x0.55) = 584.5mm

14" steelies with 165/70/14 is (14x25.4) + 2(165x0.70) = 586.6mm

So steelies actually have larger diameter by 2.1mm!

Not sure whether this makes a difference if you match 14" and 15" on same axle for any length of time? Anybody know?

END OF ANORAK ALERT

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think you will find mcgrit that this is why the handbook suggests that you limit the distance and speed when using the spare wheel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes - that's pretty much where I was coming from in both my posts. Often, these days, spare wheels are the space saver types and that is what limits them. In this case it seeems to be the slight difference in diameter and so rolling circumference, and I wondered whether anybody with more technical knowledge than me could add anything to the discussion.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mcgrit I don't think 2mm is going to make much difference as you could replace a part worn tyre (punctured) and the others might be 2mm or more worn but you don't replace all of them !

However you will have different handling characteristics with different sized tyres and as the handbook points out you should not drive too fast and change them at your earliest opportunity.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Spare wheel is an option still here in Germany.Along with every other gadget in the car.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Robbyrook said:
A new High up! seems to come with 5.5J x 15" "Spoke" alloy wheels as standard fitted with 185/55 R15 tyres and a "Full size steel spare wheel."  Are you both saying that you have a 15" steel spare wheel fitted with 185/55 R 15 tyres?  Is this steel wheel a 5.5J x 15" one exactly the same size as your "Spoke" alloy wheels?  If so, I'd love to have the VAG part number that must be stamped on the wheel as I'd possibly like 15" steel wheels to fit winter tyres to.
Robbyrook

Now the rain has stopped I have looked at the actual sizes and the spare is a bit smaller on mine:

Alloys 185/55R15
Spare 165/70R14

1 - 17 of 17 Posts