Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking at running H&R 25mm spacers front and rear on the standard 14" steel rim and H&R lowering springs. Would anyone be able to tell me if there is going to be any major rubbing issues?

I have my "other" car for stance and speed but I really want to get some happening on the Up!.

Thanks,

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's hard to say without having the car yet, and have looked at the suspension / wheels. But normally a 25mm spacer shouldn't be an issue when mounting it on standard rims, the only thing you should be aware of, is that you will need longer bolts for your wheels :) Long term wise, spacers will be likely to make your wheel bearings last shorter, because of the stress on the wheel will change to a position that the bearings is not made to withstand.. But here we are talking long distances (my own Pug 306 gti drove over 50k miles with spacers without probs. :)

Hope this helps WGN.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
not sure about OZ but if the wheel protrudes from the arch , even a tiny bit in the uk, it will fail an MOT and an insurance claim may be voided. thats why, when you spec wide wheels , for example amg rims on an slk merc, there are small wheelarch extensions fitted to keep it all legal.

it is NOT the mudflap but higher up.

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is the same in Denmark, but its a small matter of just removing the spacers before going to the MOT, and pray that the fuzz does not spot you :p

·
Registered
386 Posts
WGN_WERKS said:
I'm looking at running H&R 25mm spacers front and rear on the standard 14" steel rim and H&R lowering springs. Would anyone be able to tell me if there is going to be any major rubbing issues?
All depends on the offset of the rims of course and the size of the tires

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to try a friends Borbet Type A's 16x9 on it on the weekend. Can't wait to see the little beast with the pumped wheels and sitting lower on the springs too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The 25mm spacers will be fine on the standard steels and lowering springs.

Expect quite a bit of 'poke' however on the Borbets..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Stance? like karate kid?!

The Borbets are et15 and 9inches wide, too strong a fitment for our little Ups. Looking at over an inch of poke which on lowering springs will just look as though the wrong wheels have been fitted. Even properly low with some camber thrown in it would be impossible to get them sat right.

Try get a picture when you try them on WGN_WERKS!Edited by: nEiL!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nEiL! said:
Stance? like karate kid?!

The Borbets are et15 and 9inches wide, too strong a fitment for our little Ups. Looking at over an inch of poke which on lowering springs will just look as though the wrong wheels have been fitted. Even properly low with some camber thrown in it would be impossible to get them sat right.

Try get a picture when you try them on WGN_WERKS!
Yeah I will get some photo's up.

Also trying some Schmidt modernlines 16x9 et25. alittle less on the offset.

I'll get a heap of photo's for future reference for everyone

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
WGN_WERKS said:
Going to try a friends Borbet Type A's 16x9 on it on the weekend. Can't wait to see the little beast with the pumped wheels and sitting lower on the springs too.
We want photos!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

THe borbets were just a trail fit. Going to get the 7.5" instead. Need to get the springs installed next weekend

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think 8 or 8.5 inch wheels with the right offset and stretch would work well! I think 17's are needed to fill the arches more in these cars!

I get mine in 6 weeks and already know exactly what wheels and mods I'm doing to keep it subtle!

Look at some Schmidt th lines you can get them in 8's, may be worth a try?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts