Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The wheels / tyres that will be going on the up hopefully,

will either be:

15" 7J ET20 - with165/50/15

or

<div style="text-align: left;">15" 8J ET20 - with195/45/15
<div style="text-align: left;">

<div style="text-align: left;">Really what i need to know is how they will fit in the up arches, baring in mind coilovers will be fitted too!

<div style="text-align: left;">Dont want to run spacers, but hoping 8J will be good!

<div style="text-align: left;">Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Ive checked this, but got confused really, as i know the standard wheels, and obviously the ones i want to put on, But not sure on the arch space the up has...

·
Registered
72 Posts
its very hard to tell with out trying the wheels, although i think ET20 on an 8 will be too low on the front, ET25 plus will be better.

Its always easier to by a high offset and then space the wheels out to suit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Huge arches on the up! Should be fine! Et 20 will be fine I'm going for 17x8 et 20 with stretch! If they stuck out, nothing a bit of camber can't sort out

When you lower it you will also notice your wheels on the front will go in slightly, when I had hydraulics the wheels would pull in on lowest setting, then when raised would pull out again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh i understand now mate!, found a webpage to calculate the ET numbers and would widen the standard wheels out by 50mm. So now to measure up to see if i can squeeze them in arches... with some camber!

If not ill go 7J

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh be 195/45/15 on the 15x8 wheel, ET is 20 though thats why im trying to work it out! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
72 Posts
195/45 on an 8j dosent give a great deal of stretch, it wont be a problem on the back, but will be touch and go on the front depending on how low you go.

I still think ET20 on an 8j at the front will be a touch too close. I had an Arosa years ago, 8j wheels ET15 on the back and ET26 on the front, this was just right, my previous wheels where 8j ET20 all round with 195/45 tyres and the front caught, had to wind the coilovers up which really sucked.

But having said all that the arches on an UP are with out a doubt bigger than the Arosa/Lupo.

If you know some one with a 15x8j wheels ask them to let you try one on, and then just use washers to space it out to ET20 to give you a good idea of where it will sit in the arch, obviously don't drive it tho haha.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mate. That's awesome. It's a project but also a daily car so well have to do some testing.
Being as they should be fine in the rear I may go staggered and run 7j et20 on the front. Then space it out if required. Just trying to work it out as I'd like to get it all done in a long weekend!

I worked out that it would extend the stand wheel fitment by 50mm. So I think if I measure that out from the original wheel. That will tell me where the rim will sit. (Hopefully)

Do you know if there is much camber adjustment in the up?

From most info I found its all very similar to my mk2 golf GTI.

So I know my rear camber shims should fit. Fronts I'd need to check.

Will be a lot easier when I own the car haha!! Roll on 2013

·
Registered
72 Posts
Camber shims will be no problem on the back, but the hub clamps round the strut on the front so there will be very little adjustment there. You can get camber kits but I don't know a great deal about them.

Just out of interest which wheels are you wanting?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Although I'm not telling any of the club members they will be
Bullet steels. Resprayed candy white. With custom centre caps.

Being an old school kinda guy I wanted to add some old school in

Custom steelies are the only way.

Check the website - need anymore info I know the guy who makes them so just message me

www.bulletwheels.co.uk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Get coilovers fitted and when you go get the wheels aligned and tracked ask for a slight negative camber!

They will be fine! I'm going 17x8 et 29 as said!

You can always get the front arches rolled ever so slightly if there is a problem!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep there nice wheels, its a shame the offsets are so limited, but I understand why.

If you know the guy just be cheeky and ask if you can try before you buy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There low weight as said. From what you guys have said they sound good! Should be able to get one to try off him if not ill just fit than haha!

There not to everyone's taste but they will be completely different in the candy white
Also with original G60 steelies centre caps. Keeping the bolts hidden.

OEM+ :D

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Those are amazing! I think I've fallen in love with them, and to have them in candy white. Well.
Do let us know how you get on with sizing, I think I'll start saving my pennies! Are you sorting the respray yourself?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Easy enough to do. Search bullet wheels on Facebook. There's a how to respray guide in there photos.

Easier than fitting them thts for sure!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts