Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people using and how does it look? Particularly interested in 16-17" wheels

Thanks

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
17x8/9 ET 30 205/45/17.
It's an absolute sh*t. I don't suggest it!
Looks ace, not particularly low but a bitch to dial.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Davec86 said:
17x8/9 ET 30 205/45/17.
It's an absolute sh*t. I don't suggest it!
Looks ace, not particularly low but a bitch to dial.

I'd be very interested in understanding why you chose 205/45s, as this is a significant rolling diameter increase over the standard 165/40R14 combo.

You're effectively reducing your acceleration, plus giving yourself clearance issues.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any pics to see how those setups sit?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I do have clearance issues, that's the biggest problem.
The stretch looks killer, in my opinion, the main reason is that I got em second hand, and that's what they had on - they're decent tires too.
I'm unsure whether to try flog the whole lot and get new wheels (I've already decided and priced!!) or whip the tires off and opt for a lower profile and less stretch :(

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Dave. Help me understand. Do these modifications to suspension and tyres enhance performance or are they just for appearance? Why do some insurers refuse cover?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm only interested from an aesthetic point of view. A 3 cylinder 1.0L car is never going to be performance orientated.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It's completely aesthetic for me. Insurers associate these modifications with 'boy racers' and wrapping cars around trees.
Obviously, this isn't the case here though.
I'll pop some pics up when I can

·
Registered
42 Posts
185/50 16" on continentals, looks pretty decent, however, you could go to 17" and it still be a decent option, anything over that, and its abit silly, i would say get either conti's or michelin's though, you cant beat a decent set of shoes

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got 195/40/17 Falkens on the VR6 which are good tyres.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They were the other option but I thought on a big heavy car like a Golf Cabriolet VR6 they might not be up to the job. Plus its my wifes car and she has our son in it so had to be as safe as possible.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Heartagram said:
They were the other option but I thought on a big heavy car like a Golf Cabriolet VR6 they might not be up to the job. Plus its my wifes car and she has our son in it so had to be as safe as possible.

Nankangs are perfectly fine, I've run them on loads of cars including a 2 ton, 280BHP, RWD Lexus LS400, and that didn't end up on fire in a ditch.

The notion that Nankangs are 'ditchfinders' is totally preposterous.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Heartagram said:

Nankangs are perfectly fine, I've run them on loads of cars including a 2 ton, 280BHP, RWD Lexus LS400, and that didn't end up on fire in a ditch.

The notion that Nankangs are 'ditchfinders' is totally preposterous. 
Days of old we always referred to nankangs as Siamese skid masters! They certainly have come a long way though and a lot of people seem to be perfectly happy using them.

On the golf note though, I'd agree that a VR6 Gol 3 cabby is a heavy car, they're like bloody tanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
"On the golf note though, I'd agree that a VR6 Gol 3 cabby is a heavy car, they're like bloody tanks!"

You honestly think thats a heavy car the mind boggles. Edited by: collos25

1 - 20 of 31 Posts