Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the bolts used on the steel wheels are the same as those used to fit the alloys please?

·
Registered
55 Posts
If they are VW wheels then yes.If your car is supplied with alloys wheels, look in the boot and you will find a steel spare. There are no new bolts for the steel spare so this answers your question.
I've just taken the alloys off my car and put winter tyres with VW supplied steels on it using the same bolts. They've not fallen off yet!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Quick heads up coz I made the mistake

Always put the locking bolt furthest away from the valve, this is the only position hubcaps will then fit over!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Manual?What's that??

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Indeed... What is this manual that you speak of? :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I havent got my car yet alone a manual! Its just mines an S but I can get some Elegance alloys from someone at a good price.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The bolts for the Up steel and alloy wheels seem to be the same length. The bolts for steel wheels were shorter on my old car (Renault Clio) and were expensive at almost £4 each.

Incidentally, remember to torque the bolts to 110Nm or about 81 lb ft if you are changing wheels for the winter.

Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive never ever torqued a wheel up in 23 years of driving, just do them up with a brace and they havent fallen off yet!

·
Registered
619 Posts
barryG said:
Ive never ever torqued a wheel up in 23 years of driving, just do them up with a brace and they havent fallen off yet!

I used to do all my own car maintenance/repairs so have just got in to the habit of checking, and using, the relevant torque settings when assembling components etc. If you have ever seen a wheel come off a car at speed, tightening the bolts to the torque specified by the manufacturer is a worthwhile safety precaution.

·
Registered
851 Posts
barryG said:
A very experienced HGV driver once told me that the biggest cause of wheels coming off lorries is due to the over tightening of the wheel bolts that strips the thread. So it seems that correctly torquing bolts is an important life saver.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Haha sorry to join in with the convo but I saw a wheel come off a car once, I didn't see the car as such but I saw the wheel bounce down the main road haha was so funny! (No1 was hurt or anything, that wouldn't of been funny)!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fair enough, I guess it is a good idea but Ive a good idea just how tight a wheel bolt should be. Ive tightened enough over time and you do get a feel for it.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
One of my most invaluable tools is my norbar torque wrench

All it took was one stripped hub years ago to convince me of the importance of correct fastener torque.

Remember that like most things, to buy cheap means buying twice

Can't recommend Norbar Torque Wrenches highly enough.Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have one of the halfords type, not that cheap but it's good to know that the wheels are torqued properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can confirm that the bolts from VW up! alloy wheels fit the correct VW up! steel wheels. I've just changed over from alloys (summer tyres) to steels (winter tyres) using the same bolts (except I junked the horrible locking bolt in the process to make my life easier ... and bought 4 new normal bolts from VW to do it).

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi i need help, i have a move up with steel wheels and have just bought a set of triangle alloys do i need to buy anything to put these of or are the bolts i already have a sufficant for this change over??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just collected a new UP. I had a spare 14" wheel at home brand new so I hope it fits. I was so annoyed my trusty long handled wrench did not fit the bolts/nuts. As others have said the tools were not included. I was never told that by the salesman. Very disappointing. I have a jack I can use but its very sad really. The handbook suggests all sorts of things that don't apply to the basic model. I have not found the fuses yet they must be in the engine. Most important the tyre pressure is not listed on the door pillar car details. The manual makes so much of using the correct information and then they conceal it. I'm glad I don't have locking wheels. I do use locking dust caps though as kids steal them. How can they miss out those?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts