Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a 68 Reg Up in Costa Azul and would like to replace the stock alloys for something a bit nicer...
I was thinking to get them slightly bigger too - either 16 or 17 inch rather than the stock 15
Can anyone suggest anything suitable?
Not in a rush but any information ASAP would be much appreciated!!
Cheers!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Up to you, but be warned that anything bigger than 16" will affect the ride comfort. The UP Gti and those earlier cars fitted with the VW Polygon 17" alloys, all use 195 x 40 x 17", and compared with the 15" & 16" rims with higher profile tyres, the ride comfort is compromised.Look for some good s/h "Triangle", "La Boca", or "Upsilon" 16" (all OE VW rims). They are all a good looking rim and your car will look high spec original. Alternatively some people have gone for 15" or 16" OZ rally style alloys which look good, but are expensive. Search the Modifications and "winter wheels for my Gti" threads for some pointers.

Reactions: RJones

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Up to you, but be warned that anything bigger than 16" will affect the ride comfort. The UP Gti and those earlier cars fitted with the VW Polygon 17" alloys, all use 195 x 40 x 17", and compared with the 15" & 16" rims with higher profile tyres, the ride comfort is compromised.Look for some good s/h "Triangle", "La Boca", or "Upsilon" 16" (all OE VW rims). They are all a good looking rim and your car will look high spec original. Alternatively some people have gone for 15" or 16" OZ rally style alloys which look good, but are expensive. Search the Modifications and "winter wheels for my Gti" threads for some pointers.
Cheers mate! Very helpful

·
Registered
628 Posts
My wife has a 2018 Tsi in Costa Azule and it came with the standard 15" alloys. I tried to find some La Boca ones, but none available at the right price. Along came a set of Upsilon alloys with tyres. She now has those and it looks a million dollars.
I used her old 15" on my Gti as winter wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the look of the GTi wheels but wish that the VW badges were smaller...
I feel that they are far too large on all the VW alloys
Do you know of any other brands who make suitable alloys?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Might be worth putting a "Wanted " ad on here for

·
Registered
628 Posts
You need alloys that are strictly 4 x 100mm pcd (pitch circle diameter ) which is the stud spacing. You also need them to be around 39mm offset.a mm or so either way won't make much difference), but anything less than say 36mm offset will result in wheels that stick out from the bodywork too much, and possibly lead to premature wheel bearing problems.
There are lots of manufacturers out there, but not too many that make them within these parameters.
Here's a set of Triangle alloys, 3 are ok but one needs a refurb, and they're too expensive at £395. You'd then need a set of centre caps at around £50 for the set from VW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those Upsilon's look ace!! I'll definitely keep an eye out for a set of those.
Triangle's look good too, but like you said, they are far too expensive considering one needs a full refurbishment haha
Thankyou so much for the help!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts