Up Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I own a Skoda Citigo 2014, where I have realized that the wheels feel a bit loose when rocking them (whilst jacked). I have read about it, and it seems to be something to do with the axels - but which part specifically?

I have made a recording where I rocked the wheel backwards and forwards. The sound comes from under the engine, and not out from the wheels.
YouTube Video

And also, when I go at low speed, the ride judders - feels like it's related.

Hope someone can help me with issue 馃槵

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell from the video....
Wheel bearings? CV joints?
(I assume the wheel nuts are tight)
Yeah sorry, quite difficult to record properly...

The sound originates from the transmission-area. No sound comes from the wheels or the outer CV joint (i think it's called?).

Registered
That sounds quite normal to me if you are rotating backwards and forwards in gear, just sounds like the backlash in the gear train.

Registered
Hello,

I own a Skoda Citigo 2014, where I have realized that the wheels feel a bit loose when rocking them (whilst jacked). I have read about it, and it seems to be something to do with the axels - but which part specifically?

I have made a recording where I rocked the wheel backwards and forwards. The sound comes from under the engine, and not out from the wheels.
YouTube Video

And also, when I go at low speed, the ride judders - feels like it's related.

Hope someone can help me with issue 馃槵
Normal to me, I have a 2020 GTI same sound.

Registered
I am surprised - I have never noticed this with rack and pinion steering...

Backlash in the gearbox is one thing, but surely, backlash in a rack is going to give weird steering? I thought racks were pre-loaded to not do that?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Backlash in the gearbox is one thing, but surely, backlash in a rack is going to give weird steering? I thought racks were pre-loaded to not do that?
The steering is 100% normal, as far as i am concerned. But would that affect turning the wheels backwards and forwards, and not in and out?

Registered
"backwards and forwards, and not in and out?"

I'm no longer sure what is happening here!

If you get a noise by rotating the wheels, that could be a wheel bearing, stones in disk brakes or CVs (best case, buy could be something more expensive!).

Registered

Steve, video shows only backward & forward wheel rotation, no movement of the rack, so I think you're baffling yourself.....
Sounds normal transmission mesh (when in gear) to me, although "judders at low speeds" isn't typical, unless JohnDuncanK is in too high a gear at low speed, then it will obviously judder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve, video shows only backward & forward wheel rotation, no movement of the rack, so I think you're baffling yourself.....
Sounds normal transmission mesh (when in gear) to me, although "judders at low speeds" isn't typical, unless JohnDuncanK is in too high a gear at low speed, then it will obviously judder.
I would say 2nd gear at 30-40 km/h isn't exactly low gear.

A mate told me that he hadn't experienced wheels making that sound, when turning them backwards and forwards (just as if it were being driven). If that actually means it isn't supposed to do that, I have no idea...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"backwards and forwards, and not in and out?"

I'm no longer sure what is happening here!

If you get a noise by rotating the wheels, that could be a wheel bearing, stones in disk brakes or CVs (best case, buy could be something more expensive!).
I mean turning the wheels as if they were rolling on the road.

The issue seems to be happening no matter what gear it is in, including neutral.

Registered
I can replicate that noise by driving slowly in third and lifting off and back on the accelerator, the citigo I had was a fair bit louder but I have had three of these now and the transmissions have all made that noise.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can replicate that noise by driving slowly in third and lifting off and back on the accelerator, the citigo I had was a fair bit louder but I have had three of these now and the transmissions have all made that noise.
So based on that and the other comments, it seems to be a characteristic 馃

1 - 15 of 15 Posts