Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my up, but it is now back in the workshop for the fourth time. First time was a noise from front brakes. They skimmed the disks and adjusted - that was after about 2000 miles. Then I had a warning buzzer on my stop/start system which led them to replace a brake booster sensor. Then the brake noise returned, but now the disks were deformed and juddering and they replaced disks and pads. Another 500 miles and both brake noise and stop/start warnings are back, along with another prob I won't even mention. Most likely they will fix these problems, but already this is more hassle than I had from my ancient Toyota in six years.

My question is, at what point is it reasonable to say 'Take this one away and give me one that I won't have to bring back once a month.'?

Oh, and don't let this put you off the car - I think it's great, and I'm sure I've just been unlucky here.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think it is four times to fix before you can reject which you need to do in writing. I would suggest writing a letter to your dealer informing them that they have one more chance to fix the car properly or you will reject it. Although at the length of time and millage it will be more difficult.

But you do need to complain in writing either via letter or email outlining what you expect from them and see what they come back with. You can of course also try contacting VW customer services and get a case set up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've recently had insight into this subject with a used car. There are no hard and fast rules but what you have on your side is the sales and supply of goods act. I could go on but the best way forward for you is to google 'rejecting a new car' and take it from there, by the sounds of it you have a fairly clear cut case for rejection. Keep a diary of all communications and attempted repairs, use one of the many letter templates online and take the letter to the dealer in person along with the car and both sets of keys. They will plead and beg you not to do this but you are within your rights as the car has faults and you have given them the opportunity to put right, there is also all the inconvenience too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jezyg said:
I think it is four times to fix before you can reject which you need to do in writing. I would suggest writing a letter to your dealer informing them that they have one more chance to fix the car properly or you will reject it. Although at the length of time and millage it will be more difficult.

But you do need to complain in writing either via letter or email outlining what you expect from them and see what they come back with. You can of course also try contacting VW customer services and get a case set up.
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm planning to discuss this when I pick up the car. As far as I know I'm the only one who has had these problems. Dealers told me they weren't on the database anyway.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's not up to VW UK to tell you if you can or can't reject a car, your contract is with the selling dealer who I'm sure will involve VW UK anyway. Believe me they won't make it easy for you and you need to know your rights and be fully armed with this information when you take them on. The sales and supply of goods act is open to interpretation to a degree, but with new cars its much easier to state your claim. Like I say there's loads of help on line, good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My UP! has been in and out the garage too.. they even ordered me a brand new car which i picked up at the beginning of november after only recieving mine at the beginning of july.
However on the day i picked it up within 2 days it was back in the garage had to have a whole new radio fitted as mine had frozen...
1000miles i have done in the new one now and on my way home today the coolant light started flashing at me i had only been driving for 3 to 5 mins on my way home so it wasnt over heated as the temperature of the car was fine (90degrees is fine right lol) so back to the garage again soon i think!!! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts