Up Owners Club banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
VW UP GTI tornado red
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have been out this morning for my weekly 10 mile drive to the shops and did i see another UP GTI did i, did i? wait for it............NO not a single one. Did i just get you all excited? I did see 6 new Minis the latest type though.

Anyway, loads of other drivers and those out walking will have seen my car and will be able to say to all those who would be interested, "i spotted an UP GTI today in bright red. It looked amazing and the driver was so good looking and so cool" (OK perhaps not the last part)
Excited yes, yes that is exciting but then I’m easily excited. Ask my wife
So I’m assuming the red car is yours and you are the cool dude in question.

·
Registered
VW UP GTI tornado red
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Blimey, I get ladies knocking on my car window all the time to tell me that, when I'm parking (in any large town).
Being a nice man, I do give them 50p for a "cup of tea", and give them directions to the Sally Army house.
50p 😁
They knock on my window and tell me i should get a red UP GTI like the one with the good looking guy in it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Excited yes, yes that is exciting but then I’m easily excited. Ask my wife
So I’m assuming the red car is yours and you are the cool dude in question.

I guess its better to be easily excited than easily satisfied.

Yes that's me the cool dude in the cool red car.

I get so many women knocking on the car window or running after me wanting to come for a ride and go out with me, i just cant cope. Then i woke up from my dream.

·
Registered
406 Posts
50p 😁
They knock on my window and tell me i should get a red UP GTI like the one with the good looking guy in it.

They must be the same ladies that came for a ride with me.

They must still be so star struck from being with such a cool dude in such an amazing car that they cant think of anything else or any other car they would sooner ride in.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Blimey, I get ladies knocking on my car window all the time to tell me that, when I'm parking (in any large town).
Being a nice man, I do give them 50p for a "cup of tea", and give them directions to the Sally Army house.

That is very generous of you, 50p for a cup of tea.

It reminds me of an old Minder episode on the tv when a tramp said to Arthur Daley "spare a fiver for a cup of tea guv" and Arthur said "where are you going for it the Savoy"

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
In the two years and nine months that I owned mine I barely saw any, then I sold it and I seem to see them everywhere, which is rubbish because I’ve grown to really regret selling it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whenever I’m interested in a certain make or model of car I begin to see them all the time. Apparently this is called the reticular activating system. It’s been almost a week since I ordered my car and I have not seen one UP GTI in and around Cheshire where I live. Come to think of it about a month ago I saw a silver car parked up 😁 in my home town of Sandbach. And I know there is a white 5dr somewhere here too. But nothing else, nada, not a sausage. Are they all in the south where there is loadsa money 😁

Same where I live (UP! - appropriately😉 - North) Guisborough, North Yourshire. Had my White 3dr Gti a few months, I'v seen one Red 5dr since I got mine... I gave my elderly mother (79) who has a High Up! a drive in my Gti & she immediately ordered a new 5dr black Gti, so they are about to become relatively common in my town! 😂

·
Registered
7 Posts
In addition to my previous comment: Apologies if I (a newbie) am lacking in forum etiquette. I'm new to forums, I'm afraid I have no idea of the rules 🤷🏻‍♂️ Don't do social media at all & am 53.

·
Registered
VW UP GTI tornado red
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
In addition to my previous comment: Apologies if I (a newbie) am lacking in forum etiquette. I'm new to forums, I'm afraid I have no idea of the rules 🤷🏻‍♂️ Don't do social media at all & am 53.
Its cool that the UP is bought by older folks like me. But wow 79 and buying a GTI. I salute your dear mother.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Top Mum you have there !
Hahaha. Thanks! Yeah, I hope I still have her enthusiasm when I'm her age.
Its cool that the UP is bought by older folks like me. But wow 79 and buying a GTI. I salute your dear mother.
Thanks, She's young at heart & still a decent driver too luckily😅 I thought I was old at 53 for buying a 'younger person's' hot(ish) hatch - my wife did roll her eyes a bit when I signed up for it! But I had a mk1 gti back in the day VUP 660V & a mk2 8v gti J997 PPT ... & the little UP reminded me of particularly the mk1 - great fun, a simple basic car that you can actually exploit, not the huge power & flappy gearbox plus complexity of the Golf these days, But Mum really took me by suprise buying one, I'll be honest! 😂 She has stripe envy too, mine is white with black stripes - she's got me to buy some grey gti stripes (as per black mk1s) for her black car - which VW rudely emit for some reason. I'll try n get some pics of her car & mine together... Or bearing in mind the subject of this forum feed - would that make them seem too common?!? 😁

·
Registered
VW UP GTI tornado red
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hahaha. Thanks! Yeah, I hope I still have her enthusiasm when I'm her age.

Thanks, She's young at heart & still a decent driver too luckily😅 I thought I was old at 53 for buying a 'younger person's' hot(ish) hatch - my wife did roll her eyes a bit when I signed up for it! But I had a mk1 gti back in the day VUP 660V & a mk2 8v gti J997 PPT ... & the little UP reminded me of particularly the mk1 - great fun, a simple basic car that you can actually exploit, not the huge power & flappy gearbox plus complexity of the Golf these days, But Mum really took me by suprise buying one, I'll be honest! 😂 She has stripe envy too, mine is white with black stripes - she's got me to buy some grey gti stripes (as per black mk1s) for her black car - which VW rudely emit for some reason. I'll try n get some pics of her car & mine together... Or bearing in mind the subject of this forum feed - would that make them seem too common?!? 😁
Sounds like you and I have a similar ish car history. The car that ignited my love of VW was a Tornado red Golf Mk2 GTI (F948 ORE).The first of the Digifant injection engines. It was uber reliable. It was my pride joy. Oh dear im on a nostalgia trip now sorry all.

This was followed by a supercharged
Golf G60.

Followed by a smattering of Golfs & Polos

Mk1 Golf Driver 1.3

'Bread van' Polo 1.3

Polo GT

Polo 1.4 16V A fun and really good car. I would have said this was closer to the feel of the UP GTI

So there were just a few more cars not including a few Audis. But I will end with this one. A Golf 2.8 V6 4motion manual. A lovely car that would do a genuine 30mpg. And it would stick like the proverbial to a blanket. Anyway thanks and sorry for the self indulgence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like you and I have a similar ish car history. The car that ignited my love of VW was a Tornado red Golf Mk2 GTI (F948 ORE).The first of the Digifant injection engines. It was uber reliable. It was my pride joy. Oh dear im on a nostalgia trip now sorry all.

This was followed by a supercharged
Golf G60.

Followed by a smattering of Golfs & Polos

Mk1 Golf Driver 1.3

'Bread van' Polo 1.3

Polo GT

Polo 1.4 16V A fun and really good car. I would have said this was closer to the feel of the UP GTI

So there were just a few more cars not including a few Audis. But I will end with this one. A Golf 2.8 V6 4motion manual. A lovely car that would do a genuine 30mpg. And it would stick like the proverbial to a blanket. Anyway thanks and sorry for the self indulgence.

Love your nostalgia trip - Pictures & back history of VW's - Thanks for sharing. It's a much more comprehensive VW history than mine! V6 four motion & Golf G60 eh? Very cool 😎 A good mate had a supercharged Corrado (in a questionable yellow) super torquey, made stealthily rapid progress without having to wring its neck like you did with the 16v ones.

My mk2 8v was also Tornado red... Well, it was as long as I regularly cut n polished it! Superb car, felt bulletproof, like it'd keep going forever. Super smooth engine too as I remember - Hardly any vibration as it revved - due to the balancer shaft maybe? I don't know... Hope you enjoy your UP Gti. I'm sure you will looking at your past car history. I was worried it would fall short of the Gti badge. Nope. Exceeds it in my opinion, Very fun, ridiculously good engine (let's ignore the fall off in power getting towards peak revs, it pulls so satisfyingly well midrange, that there isn't any need to torture it to the upper limits) & the other bonus of not constant high revving, is well over 50mpg without trying at all. My only very minor gripes are that it doesn't tuck in & tighten its line as much as I'd like when you lift into a bend (like older hot hatches did) & the throttle response ain't sharp enough to give it a quick rev match kick on downshifts (turbo 🙄) All nit picking though. Overall, it's absolutely fantastic. Most fun car I'v had in many years for sure.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts