Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which petrol are existing UP! owners using.

My salesman told me to use only Shell or BP and use the v-power rather than the 95 octane.
Hedidn'tgo on to explain any more, but is this just while running in, or does the UP! just like the better petrol. What does it do to the mpg?

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's ment to be more efficient and cleaner for your car the better petrol, however I never notice any difference. I'll stick to the good old cheapo petrol ... well if you call £1.37 cheap :S

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I keep getting told not to use Tesco fuel, as they buy what ever is cheapest at the time and mix it all.
I am a little worried about my new up when I get it, so perhaps I should stick to a brand?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The main difference between a branded such as BP and a supermarket such as Tesco is the additives. The fuel itself will be as good as the same. BP will tend to add better detergents etc, so the fuel will be better for your car. From what I have read you can fill up from time to time at a non supermarket to get the benefits.

I tried the Total high octane fuel in my Ford Ka, and I could not be sure of the effect. I seemed to sometimes get 10% better fuel consumption, but not always. I could not be sure if there was a gain, as variables such as air temperature make a significant difference. Also driving style, which could change since it was not a controlled test. And from what I have read these high octane fuels are for high performance engines, not little 3 pot jobs. I suspect the engine management unit also plays a role, and if it cannot detect a better fuel, then it will be wasted.

It might be worth trying though.

I stick to branded fuel, such as Total and BP, due to the better additives. They are also the closest garages, and it would cost fuel to drive to a supermarket, offsetting the savings.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have tried Shell Optimax (Shell V-Power) in some of my cars in the pastbut could not 'feel' any difference in performance. The only car which seemed to run any better was my Alfa Romeo 156 - it just seemed a little smoother on this fuel.

In general I just buy supermarket 'own brand' petrol; my cars seem to go and last just the same. If I recall correctly, the sticker inside the petrol cap cover on the Up recommends 95 RON.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Think I would only buy a branded fuel on a regular basis if it really made a difference to the MPG. I'll probably only keep Up! number one for about 2 to three years before hopefully upgrading to a GT
, so if the only likely benefits are engine wear or the like it's a bit pointless driving past Sainsburys, Asda etc just to fill up.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
As has been said, all comes from the same refinery, different brands are achieved by differing the 'mix' ratio of additives. iirc, which magazine did an extensive test and found brands like shell,esso, texaco etc were better in engine wear and ? anti-knock/pinking tests but mpg differences were negligible. afaik, the engine management systems take care of mapping etc so ron95 fuel from anywhere should be fine, ron 98 overkill and cost of travelling to a cheaper pump offset by just filling up locally!

I'm an esso man as the garage is across the road from my surgery and pretty competetive re cost £1.34.7 today

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
what about esso blue (paraffin !)

<table ="ts" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 512px; "><t><tr><td valign="top" width="1" style="padding-top: 4px; padding-right: 8px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><div ="th" style="border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb235, 235, 235; border-right-color: rgb235, 235, 235; border-bottom-color: rgb235, 235, 235; border-left-color: rgb235, 235, 235; : relative; width: 116px; height: 65px; overflow-x: ; overflow-y: ; ">–º0:43–º0:43
</td><td valign="top" style="padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><cite ="kv" style="color: rgb0, 153, 51; font-style: normal; display: block; margin-bottom: 1px; ">www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRbmfLVoWo</cite>
</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'd forgotten about that!! And what about all these long gone petrol brands...Cleveland Discol, Q8, National Benzole, Burmah, Gulf.............and Green Shield and Pink stamps....oh the memories!!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
You sound as old as me.....Love me do by the beatles was No.1 when I was born!

·
Registered
423 Posts
David Whitfield singing Cara Mia for me apparently! I'm guessing that gives me a good few years over you!

·
Registered
143 Posts
If there was a real problem with supermarket petrol, then an awful lot of cars would be very ill. My Smart Roadster ran better on tesco energy 99 than shell vpower when I had it.

There are countries in europe with much worse petrol quality issues than ours. Fill up where convenient usually sainsbury's for me

·
Registered
160 Posts
My hubby always filled his skoda vrs with tesco energy 99 rather than shell too. Said it was much better - not that I could tell the difference! He fills ourmegane with Tesco diesel, yet filled my Up with Esso! Says tesco normal petrol not good enough for the Up!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Despite what I said earlier I might actually give a premium fuel a try when I get my car. Should be easy to see if there is a difference in mpg using Maps and More, though I would guess you wopuld have to make sure you had a gap between filling up with different fuels so as it wasn't a mixture of the two you were checking up on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Rednaxela said:
I keep getting told not to use Tesco fuel, as they buy what ever is cheapest at the time and mix it all.
I am a little worried about my new up when I get it, so perhaps I should stick to a brand?
Well thats me stuffed then , i live on an island and tesco have the monopoly

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a choice of Shell, Asda, Tesco and Morrisons. Was using Morrisons for years to collect the Morrisions Miles points and never had any issues.

My recent thinking is that since I could never find much to buy in Morrisons I'm going to try Shell since its closer. I'll feedback anydifferences I notice...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts