Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new Move Up! for 3 months, and love it apart from one thing. When the revs are a bit low there is a whirring noise from the engine. This becomes more pronounced when the engine is warm. I took it back to the garage and they test drove it and told me the noise is 'normal' and something to do with the engine being 'tuned for economy'. It sounds as though it is clockwork. My mother also bought her Move Up! at the same time as me so I know that hers doesn't make that noise. I am not sure whether to believe themechanic or whether he is trying to fob me off.If the VW garage don't agree that it's a problem I don't know where I can go for a second opinion.The car seems to performOK but the noise worries me. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Go to the nearest other VW mechanic. Or take yours and your mothers car together and make him notice yours makes the noise while hers doesn't. Then he'll have to admit he was wrong or that your mothers UP! doesn't work properly :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
811 Posts
It is probably noise from the gearbox rather than the engine. Virtually all Ups make a rattling noise at low revs in high gears. There is a lot of information and discussion on the forum about this but it seems to be the result of a lack of soundproofing around the transmission tunnel rather than an actual fault.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Allybasher said:
It is probably noise from the gearbox rather than the engine. Virtually all Ups make a rattling noise at low revs in high gears. There is a lot of information and discussion on the forum about this but it seems to be the result of a lack of soundproofing around the transmission tunnel rather than an actual fault.

Yes, there's quite a bit on here about that. Mine does it too sometimes. It's turned into a quirk I quite like, in a weird way...!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
All model have the quirky whirr/'rattle', it's because it's a 3-cyl engine, and it appears to come from the drive belt end of the engine. There is a lack of sound proofing on the whole car, so engine and gearbox noises are more apparent than other cars,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
The only engine noise generated as a result of the 3 cylinder configuration is the off-beat thrum which makes it sound like a poor man's Porsche when revved. Generally the engine is very sweet.

The noise described above is, I think, the well reported gear cluster rattle which afflicts some up's more than others. VW have suggested (via the dealer) that it affects 75ps models more than 60ps and BMT more than non-BMT - but I wonder whether this is just 'Bull', given that I have a 75 BMT!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
sisterofjo said:
When the revs are a bit low there is a whirring noise from the engine. This becomes more pronounced when the engine is warm.

Do you have the 60 or 75 gerbil motor""¦?


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Upmeister said:
The only engine noise generated as a result of the 3 cylinder configuration is the off-beat thrum which makes it sound like a poor man's Porsche when revved. Generally the engine is very sweet.

The noise described above is, I think, the well reported gear cluster rattle which afflicts some up's more than others. VW have suggested (via the dealer) that it affects 75ps models more than 60ps and BMT more than non-BMT - but I wonder whether this is just 'Bull', given that I have a 75 BMT!!
I have a feeling it might be, seeing as I have a 60ps non-BMT!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top