Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, just joined the forum and looking for some advice please.
We bought a High up! at the end of July and immediately notice a whistling noise which is at its loudest at 65 - 70 mph. Its ok for a couple of miles but recently covered 1000 motorway miles and it becomesso wearing as to be unbearable.
The dealers have hinted that its a lack of sound deadening around the gearbox, although as it dissapears if you take your foot off the accelerator I think it may be air being drawn through and past the air filter.
My question is: does anyonehavea definitive answer and more importantly has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I get exactly the same noise in my Citigo at around 60mph, and as you say it stops when I lift my foot off the accelerator. I did start to find it really annoying on longer journeys, but I've just accepted it as one of the many interesting noises the car makes, and I turn my music up to drown it out. I'm sure there's been a thread on this forum about it, and there's certainly been one on the Citigo forum.I don't think it's a fault, just a "characteristic" of the car, but I can understand why you find it so annoying.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can't say that I've heard anything of the sort, though I do have the radio, satnav or media player on nearly all the time, but at a moderate level. If I'm travelling at those kinds of speeds, then I'll switch the cruise control on and that reduces the engine noise level to a minimum.

Nick

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I agree with Nick, no noises here. Probably only done about 500 miles at those speeds, but no whistling

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I was playing with the cruise control yesterday on the motorway and I caught a bit of a whistle. It was very quiet though. I remember an old Micra used to whistle too... I suspect it's perfectly normal.

I imagine it's from the gearbox.

If you think it's wind noise, then that's something else.

Edited by: SiJ2000

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Some abruptness on the Citigo forum

You all apparently 'need to get a life' if you are complaining about noise.

Did make me laugh

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yes, I have that noise too, but it's no big deal. As someone said earlier, you hear every little sound in the up, but overall I find it a remarkably quiet car for its size. Try not to worry, your car is under warranty!
Just enjoy it. In the very unlikely event that it does actually go wrong the RAC will be there in the twinkling of an eye!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I can understand its a noise that will annoy some more than others but on our car (2100 miles) it is quite loud and intrusive, we also tookanother car for a test drive and that was the same.
its something we didn't expect especially as we have owned and driven several other 3 cylinder engine cars before and many small hatchbacks. Moreover Volkswagen knew there was a problem and chose to call it a characteristic because they haven't got a clue what it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We also have the whistle. I have to say, it is a bit annoying, but I sensed it was nothing serious or "wrong" so I have successfully ignored it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
First post for me here - I was trawling the forums for some background info on this.
Have the same issue with my dad's car. It has done about 1000 miles now. The issue is not a whistle, it is a transmission whine.
I recently took the car to be assesed by one of the technicians at the local VW dealership. He agreed there is definitely something amiss.
It seems to be related to temperature. When thetransmission is up to temperature and the fluid is warm, under a light throttle load at approx 60 - 70 mph in 5ththere is a whine which indicates a meshing misalignment on the final drive. If you lift of the throttle at these speeds the whine disappears momentarily, then as soon as an overrun condition is reached, the whine re-appears. the same happens again when you re-apply the throttle. In 4th gear the condition is still there but less audible. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gearsare quiet.
I have also noticed there is a lot of synchro hub and baulk ring noise (clunky noises when changing gear). Yes I agree there is not much soundproofing on this car, but even so you should not be able to hear mechanical noises like this and to this extent (volume)whilst seated within the cabin.
Reverse does sometimes baulk, but I would say, as someone else has suggested, this is to do with the time it takes for the layshaft to slow down after disengaging the clutch with the engine running, coupled with the fact there is no synchromesh on reverse.

The condition on my dad's car is deteriorating, so it is booked in with thelocal dealershipto have some investigative work undertaken shortly.
I suspect a bearing, or something to do with preload which has caused something to wear prematurely is the likely cause.

We will see what happens and report back on the outcome. I am hoping they are going to swap the transmission and not try to take it apart and fix it themselves.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have noticed this, also a slight whine when moving at low speeds. My guess is that it's down to sound proofing, I'm not going to worry unless the gearbox starts to play up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To: windyup
Thanks for this, very interesting indeed, and the symptoms fit ours, only the noise "appears" to come from further back than the gearbox. I'll listen carefully next time it does it, it's certainly not always apparent. Please can you keep us updated on what goes on with the garage on this. If several of us have the noise and it is serious it sounds nastily to me like a design/manufacturing fault.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Will keep you updated. My first experience of VW dealerships too,so will be a good measure of their competence against other brands. Lets hope they can fix it.The rest of the car is ace by the way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Update: Car went into the dealer this week. Even though the technician recognised a fault (& agreed with my diagnosis) VW technical intervened after a conversation with dealer and were told to do nothing with it. They had the car for 4 days.
Friendly service from dealer but the outcome wasnot to our satisfaction.

So I think i might be taking the box out myself to look at it next, or playing with some soundproofing on the bulkhead.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I don't have the whistling, and I do a lot of motoring at ~60mph. I suspect this is an issue with a minority of cars. Not that I am saying that it is acceptable, I've never heard it, and I can imagine it could be annoying. I would get out of my Ford Ka after a long journey with my ears ringing. Ooops.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts