Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ive had my High Up just over a year now. About a week before it was due its service Ive noticed a whistling noise when the car is idling but goes away when I press the accelerator. Its a faint noise when in the car but is louder from the outside. It appears to be coming from the passenger side of the engine. VW had a look and said its a "characteristic" of the car and there is no fault. It hasnt done it for the last 7k miles.

Does anyone elses car make this noise or are VW trying to fob me off?
They didnt seem to want to fix my last problem without me making a fuss.

Thanks,
Emma :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I hear a whistling noise all of the time....but with me I think it is Tinitus

Go well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I turned the engine on a few days ago it was like a high whistling noise from the engine but it disappeared as soon as I started to drive. Haven't heard it since. Really weird.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine doesnt do it when I first start it, only once the engine is warm. It does disappear when driving until I come to a stop then it kicks in again.

If anyone is out driving today please could you pop your bonnet before turning your car off to see if you have this noise. Would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Emma. I'm out and about today, I'll have a quick look for you to see if I can spot where it could possibly be coming from. Is it a high pitched whistle, mechanical sounding, like something rubbing/friction? Which engine type have you got, your signature doesn't say. Is it thestandard 60/75 BHP engine or is the 60/75 BHP Bluemotion? My 75 BHP engine makes like a wurring sound sometimes, usually when it's cold and driving but I think is Bluemotion related though.
Have you had your service done yet, and if so does it still do it? I'm spit balling here but I'm wondering if the air filter is very dirty,and affecting the air flow through the air box? It doesn't take much to "upset" an engine. Hmmm. It's one of those issues where you need the car in front of you to pin point what it could be.

Hopefully I'll be able to make an educated guess at least for you.

Cheers.

Matt

P.s, it's good to see someone else from derby way. Whereabouts are you from?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a standard High Up. Its a mechanical noise defo doesnt sound like an air leak. It had its service done the same day they were investigating the noise but its still there.

I will try and get a video of it when I get home from work.

I live in Alvaston :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Emma. Sorry for the delay in replying to you and thanks for the video, it helps a lot. You're right, it is mechanical. It sounds like the alternator bearings are a bit noisy. The tolerences are very tight in the bearing assembly, between the inner and outer race and the bearings themselves. During use they can get very hot and expand which is why you don't hear it when the engine is cold. It sounds continuous, so the only other option is the gearbox, but my hunch is still with the alternator.
I presume that you also got your car from Parkways at Pride park like myself? Are they still investigating? If so have they said anything to you yet about it?

I live in Swadlincote by the way.

Matt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your help :) it went in for service and for the noise to be investigated at the same time which they said it was a characteristic of the car and didnt want to take no for an answer lol. I just told them I will be bringing it back again. I will call up tomorrow and see when they can book it in and tell them im not having it back till its fixed :)

It came from Parkway and ive not had any problems with them really. My heatshield was replaced a few weeks ago as that had come loose, they were a bit reluctant with that orginally saying they dont know what noise I was on about and couldnt hear anything odd. I had to go there and show them the noise.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Emma. Sorry about the late reply and it's my pleasure to help. Parkways have been superb to me and I think that if there is a problem they will find it. As for itbeing a "characteristic" of the car, I don't think so. I've only heard about 10/15 and it's the first one I've heard like it. It seems that nobody else has this issue either judging by lack of responses. I would definitely take it back to Parkways though for more investigation.

Matt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the car is back. They couldnt find the noise initially so I had to go in and show them. Whilst the technician was poking around under my bonnet he moved the water pipe which has made the noise stop. He has no idea how the noise could be related to just moving the pipe slightly as it isnt sitting on anything. Ah well its not making a noise anymore, lets hope it stays that way :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had a whistle on my last Mini Cooper a couple of years ago and that turned out to be a faulty water pump. Worth keeping an eye on it

·
Registered
851 Posts
Do you know which water pipe? For example, the pipe to the radiator or the pipe to the coolant expansion tank, etc?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which ever is to the left hand side of the coolant tank lol. Sorry i cant be of more help. The noise is back though, think it must of been a fluke because I wiggled the same pipe and the noise has stayed. VW have said somwhere high up are aware of the noise but are unsure as to where it is coming from. They have reassured me that it is not causing any damaged, although if they dont know where the noise is coming from I dont understand how they can say its not causing damage :-(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Emma

has this been resolved for you yet?

Mine started doing this today!

It was whistling whenever in low gear or idling with the engine on. I've also noticed that when the noise isn't obvious it does it briefly when the engine is started and also stopped.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, unfortunately no solution. It went back in again last week as the noise is now louder and getting very embarrassing. I was told it is a characteristic of the car again. Apparently its the gear box, some are just more noisy than others. On the plus side they told me it will probably get louder still...well thats not a positive for me but they tried to make it be positive. I put a verbal complaint in to the manager, told him im beginning to be scared to drive my Up and im also embarrassed to be an Up owner. He is registering the complaint with VW head office so just waiting on a response. Will update when I get one. Hope they can do something with yours!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts