Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
This is my family`s new pet. It came to replace our mkIII Golf. as a second car. It is a standard Move Up! BMT 55kW with M+M and Cool&Sound package which includes AC and Sound Pack. Our car was dealers demo but we got very lucky because it had only 570km on it when we got it last wednesday and we did 470km of these on our two testdrives. So not much of a second hand this is. I bought 14""� alloys for summer tyres and studed winter tyres goes to original 14""� steel rims. Boot sill guard (1S0061197) and Door sill guard (1S3071310) are waiting for sunny weather. Defa engine block heater and interior heater are also in to do list before winter, already bought the components and I`m waiting to get my hands dirty. In Finland we have options more limited than for example in UK. We have two models, Move Up! and White Up!. Move Up! comes with both 44kW and 55kW engines, white Up! is always 55kW. Every Up! in Finland is a BMT. Standard equipments of Move Up! here include (compared to UK) Comfort pack, Driver`s Assistance Pack, Winter Pack, full size spare, front fog lights and front mudflaps. So not much got left out of our Up!. Technics Package (Sensor Pack) would have been nice, since we are really missing cruise control. We have it on our Touran and seems to be that it is the kind of accessory that once you got it you can`t go without it. Good thing is it could be fitted later and it might come to that.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Welcome

Nice sturdy looking alloys. I like

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Nice. Welcome!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I like the way that you almost get a high up anyway, and with your alloy swap it is virtually a high up.

Looks impressive.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome, JPS

Can you tell us more about how the Defa engine block heater is fitted? I take it that it's a 230V heating coil fitted into the engine block to pre-heat the engine coolant? Does it fit into an existing 'port' of some sort or does the engine have to be 'invasively' prepared for the fitting (e.g. by cutting or drilling)?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tervetuloa!

Nice to see more Finns getting this. Myself being a Finn but living in UK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all about good comments!

Engine block heater is 230V as you guessed move up!. It actually isn`t coil but a radiation heater. So no "messing" with motor is needed.Heat element is quite big aluminum part molded to the shape of the oilpan side. Heater will be boltedto the side of the oilpan. Heat transfer grease is applied between heater and oilpan for better heat transferring. On these all aluminium motors heat transferring works well and oil is pretty warm after two hours of heating time on winter weathers. It doesn`t have big effect on coolant temp, like coil warmers used to but some heat transfers up the aluminium block since all the heat is down in the bottom of motor. This isn`t a big deal because main thing is to get oil warm so that lubrication can start efficiently from the start.

I will add here assembly instructions of my system, where you can get correct product codes and an idea of the system overall. I`ll post pictures once I have assembled it.

http://www.defa.com/file/626a28d03899/4883.pdf

http://www.defa.com/file/6467860362e/1920254.pdf

http://www.defa.com/file/016b2c340024/1920255.pdf

Power connector is very small. About 1 inch in diameter with flip cover. I`ll try to get it fitted on a black frame in the front bumper, so it wouldn`t be so noticeable.

·
Registered
727 Posts
J.P.S. said:
Power connector is very small. About 1 inch in diameter with flip cover. I`ll try to get it fitted on a black frame in the front bumper, so it wouldn't be so noticeable.

As a kid I lived 3 years in Fairba.ba..ba..ba..banks Alaska (average January low -19°f / -28°c record low -66°f / -54°c) and I remember well the connectors hanging out of everyone's front grill.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks. Interesting mounting system with the conductive paste and bracket. I've also heard of heat pads that you glue straight to the sump with special heat transfer glue, though I'm not sure how effective they are.
I think pre-heaters will be useful even in a 'mild' climate like the UK, as we do get periods of sub-zero morning temperatures, and cars are quite inefficient for the first few miles, with more engine wear. Plus the heater doesn't warm up for a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice looks. Looks like bmw. BMW and VW looks are same. We drive the car from one place to another and by the end of the day it takes less space to park with that good mini looks and our friends, relatives, families also talk about the car and at last says wow. I wanna buy that what's the price. Now here I became the seller in here and sold one to my relative and they all love it. That's cools you had taken down the pictures. I wish to have this one and stay inside all day and night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts