Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just plugged my m+m into pc. Fresh found it for a few seconds then said cannot find device and screen went all white. Waited 5 mins then tried reset. Screen went black and device now appears to be bricked ie will not start at all. Not too impressive for a brand new GPS unit. Any suggestions other than take it back to VW??

·
Registered
198 Posts
In theory, you might be able to activate so-called bootloader service and then restore saved backup files from the PC. I don't know about m&m, but on some older devices I've dealt with, bootloader can be activated by keeping power button pressed while pressing reset. Or, continuously tap one point on the screen. Or, hold one point on the screen and tap on another. Or maybe battery can be removed and reinserted back (though that doesn't look easy, there must be some hidden screws and/or latches, better not try this).

If nothing above helps, try at least to make the device to turn on the screen or backlight. Remove USB cable, the battery should get empty in about 3 hours. Leave it a couple hours more, then try charging and connecting it again. If nothing happens but at least you've emptied the battery, try instead putting it in the car - if USB chip is fried, this may successfully charge and reset it, and at least you'll have a usable device until getting a replacement.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have you tried a "hard" reset? e.g. keeping the reset button pressed and at the same time pressing the off switch, keeping them pressed for around 15 seconds and letting go, then trying to switch on normally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply pta. I didnt get a chance to make a backup as problem arose within seconds of connecting to PC. Tried power button and reset together. This got rid of white screen but device now will not start at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent advice Zillup Didn't realize had to hold for so long. in fact took 20 seconds to do the trick. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts