Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Brazilian Up is longer than the European model, has more load space, larger fuel tank, steel and glass tailgate and wind-down rear windows.<div style="text-align: left;">

I'm sure a lot of us in the UK would like this specification, why do they do these mods for Brazil !
<div style="text-align: left;">

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Derkie!

South America doesn't have the same type of roads and cities as Europe.

· We need more fuel to be able to cover greater distances, our countries are big. In Argentina and Brazil we have a lot of big rural areas between cities, and the Patagonia is mostly deserted, so if you want to make a long trip with your Up!, you'll need a bigger tank.

· The extended load space is a result of the 6cm of longer distance between axles needed to acommodate the bigger fuel tank.

· Steel tailgate is more a cost reduction method than an improvement, but if you like it, awesome! I personally like the glass one.

· Wind-down rear windows will be the only thing without explanation. The other style you have in Europe (pivoting windows) is very rare to see here, so I think people would not like it.

· Mirror blinkers are only for the high and red/black/white up. More a market strategy than anything, you have them on the body in all versions, thats good.

Also, don't forget there are things we can't get, such as open/solar roof, heated seats, heated mirrors, ESP or TPMS.

For me, none is better, each one has its advantages and disadvantages. But the basic thing is that the American model is better suited for our crappy roads and long distances.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hambert excellent post..... now I know

Perhaps the longer wheelbase enables them to fit a rear wind down window which I'm sure everyone will agree is better than the European pop out one.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Derkie54 said:
... Perhaps the longer wheelbase enables them to fit a
rear wind down window which I'm sure everyone will agree is better than
the European pop out one.
I don't agree ...

I had the pop out windows at my Lupo and I am satisfied to have them onmy up!

1.) I mostly drive alone and don't need them ...
2.) If someone's in the back, he might wind the rear window down but won't wind it up 100% when he leaves the car. The pop out windows are "yes/no" and never "still 5 mm open" ...

I agree that two buttons at the driver's side for both side windows in the front make sense and are much better!

Well; in South America it is sometimes difficult to find a fuel station.
In Europe it is more difficult to find a fitting parking lot ...

I also like the European glass rear window ...
People who love the Brazil 50/50 solution should buy a Citigo?

Indeed a shame we don't have the window indicators here!

And not to forget that the Reverse is (VW typical) up left in Brazil and not down right ...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair points Cadfael I agree and also prefer the glass window but sorry I still prefer wind up windows I can always check them if someone has been in the back.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Personally I'm pleased we don't have the Brazilian specification. I like my heated seats and mirrors and have no problem with pop out rear windows. After nearly two years of ownership I've not had an occasion to open the passenger window so not having a switch on the drivers door has not been a disadvantage.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Derkie54 said:
The Brazilian Up is longer than the European model, has more load space, larger fuel tank, steel and glass tailgate and wind-down rear windows.

<DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">

I'm sure a lot of us in the UK would like this specification, why do they do these mods for Brazil !

<DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">

Do they suffer from lots of leaks like the Brazilian National football team?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Same reasons for lwb as for India Hyundai i10s.
The people who buy them are different. They are developing markets with larger family units.
In europe these are city cars, in emerging nations they are cars for the new middle class with possibly three generations of the family travelling in the car together.

·
Registered
75 Posts
proud_darcy said:
The people who buy them are different. They are developing markets with larger family units.
In europe these are city cars, in emerging nations they are cars for the new middle class with possibly three generations of the family travelling in the car together.
Sorry buddy but you're wrong there. I don't know Brazil but in Argentina yes we have more poor class people but they aren't the ones who buy Up!s. Here and in Brazil the mid-class is pretty much the same as yours and we aren't just driving around like monkeys all in one car. All my friends are from middle-low class, about 24 years old, and they all have an own car for them alone, even as new as 2011. I for example I'm waiting for the Up! Just for me and eventually my mother.

We even have plenty of Smarts, Fiats 500, etc, so yes the city car exists around here!

The longer wheelbase is just for acommodating the bigger fuel tank, and it gives you a little more space for your knees but the passenger capacity remains the same and is still the smallest 5-occupant car in the world.

The only truth on "why the up is different in Brazil" is the one you can read in my post above. I have heard it directly from Volkswagen's Brazilexecutivesin many TV interviews, and its not my own guess.

Cheers!

Edited by: Hambert

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hambert said:
proud_darcy said:
Sorry buddy but you're wrong there. I don't know Brazil but in Argentina yes we have more poor class people but they aren't the ones who buy Up!s. Here and in Brazil the mid-class is pretty much the same as yours and we aren't just driving around like monkeys all in one car. All my friends are from middle-low class, about 24 years old, and they all have an own car for them alone, even as new as 2011. I for example I'm waiting for the Up! Just for me and eventually my mother.

We even have plenty of Smarts, Fiats 500, etc, so yes the city car exists around here!

The longer wheelbase is just for acommodating the bigger fuel tank, and it gives you a little more space for your knees but the passenger capacity remains the same and is still the smallest 5-occupant car in the world.

The only truth on "why the up is different in Brazil" is the one you can read in my post above. I have heard it directly from Volkswagen's Brazilexecutivesin many TV interviews, and its not my own guess.

Cheers!
Believe that if it gives you comfort. South America is an emerging market and demographics are different to the "old world".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cadfael said:
Hi Hambert,

so, another difference?
In Europe, the up! is not a 5-occupants car (like the Lupo was) ...
In Europe, the up! it is a 4-occupants car! Only two savety belts in the middle!

Cheers!

Ups, yeah! We found another! I insist, you sir have the eye of an eagle.

It is not wider though, that is clear.

And it is also 2cm higher for better ground clarance (once again, for better adaptability to our roads).

proud_darcy said:
Believe that if it gives you comfort. South America is an emerging market and demographics are different to the "old world".
I'm not believing anything, i'm just reapeating what I saw on many interviews. I can give you the links, if you can understand spanish, and you'll see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here in Brazil, the up is a city car too, the people who buy it generally drive it alone, for the people who have larger families there's a lot of other cars in the same price of the up like Renault (dacia) logan , vw voyage, fiat siena, nissan march (micra) sedan, 207 sedan, here the price of the cars is too high for exemple looks this table, the cars we buy here, and the cars we can buy in the USA with the same money :

So, the up! is an entry car, but is not cheap, and not for the masses, the people how buy it is not the new middle the class, the new middle class buy cars with 10 years old.

Another thing, our up! is a flexfuel car it runs with gas or ethanol in any proportions. with a 75hp in gas and up to 82hp in ethanol.

The aerial is diferent

no sunroof

does not have the front lip

our wheels are 1 inch smaller

No traction or stability control

no side bags, but still 5 stars on crash test by latinncap

DRL lights are diferent, they are T10 and its turned on manually

The manual up uses the MQ200 gearbox the ASG uses SQ100 like yours but with different ratio

ASG is called I-motion here

we have a yellow ugly up :

and another few small things.

Edited by: Thyago

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Last thing I noticed was the radio ...

Besides Brazil has a red display (matter of taste), it also has a USB slot which European up!s don't have ...

Maybe the USB (something revelutionary new for VW?) comes 2020 in Europe ...
Impressing that CD is standard on the European radio. Maybe because MCs for testing were too expensive and too hard to get for the R&D departement?

Can't understand why a 2011/12 released car doesn't have a USB slot for MP3s ...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Cadfael said:
Can't understand why a 2011/12 released car doesn't have a USB slot for MP3s ...
There are always problems with mp3 files (format, file names, etc.) and the majority of German customers would not tolerate that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thyago said:
DRL lights are diferent, they are T10 and its turned on manually

I can't understand that one. Mine turns the DRLs on together with the ignition, just like our A4. It evenattenuates them when parking (position) lights are selected, I think that's the normal europeanbehavior, you can't turn them off when the car is running.

I don't know about the Classic alloys, but the Waffles are 15", the same as in Europe i think.

About the "lip", I just checked my bumper ans it's exactly the same as the European.

And to add to the radio list: USB port also supports charging (I didn't tested it yet though), and the system supports Bluetooth and audio streaming without the need of the M&M unit.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
On European (German) take up!s and move up!s 14" steel aloys are normal ...
The high up! has 15" (Spoke) alloys, the "Groove up!" (also called "Fender up! in Spain) has 16" alloys as standard.

The Waffles are option for the high up! in most European countries.
Was it Ireland which has Waffles as standard for the high up! ???

Front seems to be the same (as Hambert wrote) ...

DRLs also work like Hambert described ...
Maybe there has been a change in the 2014 or 2015 model year, so that Brazilian (and Argentina) up!s have the DRLs automatic now, too? In Europe it's a bit easyer because we have many common European laws. Maybe Brazil changed the DRL to suit most South American laws (as the up! is now exported to Argentina and maybe other South American countries) ...

Yes; a USB is automatically a "charger unit". 5Vs?
My Samsung Galexy S4 can be charged by 230Vs or 5Vs (connected to computer).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cadfael said:
Last thing I noticed was the radio ...

it also has a USB slot which European up!s don't have ...

Maybe the USB (something revelutionary new for VW?) comes 2020 in Europe ...
Impressing that CD is standard on the European radio. Maybe because MCs for testing were too expensive and too hard to get for the R&D departement?

My 2011 polo had usb as part of an mdi port so its something vw are using and can fit .Just something we dont get as an option in uk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The up thats go to argentina is a little different like the DRL in the ignition, and is monofuel, the wheels i refer is that :

and this

15, we dont have 16 inch.

Edited by: Thyago

1 - 20 of 23 Posts