Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested to know why people here have bought one? Here are my reasons in order!

- My 16-year-old Ford Focus needs to be replaced
- I wanted something fun and cheap to run and this has ticked every single box and more. I used to own a Ford Puma (yeh yeh I know, hairdressers car) and have missed it massively and craved a fun car again ever since I had a family and sold my beloved to make way for a dull family car
- The reviews are amazing which is why I was able to buy it without ever driving it. You would likely have to have your head examined to go for more expensive options like the Swift Sport or the Fiat 500 Arbath that are simply not as good.
- I'm having a mid-life crisis. It was this or an affair so the wife agreed to the car

·
Registered
635 Posts
I bought it because it's cheap to buy, cheap on fuel, cheap to insure. I suppose it's that bit different to a lot of common things on the road. My fiancé will also be confident driving the GTI as it is the same shape as her regular Up. Its compact dimensions means it fits really well in my 17 x 9 garage. Having said that I've got to admit, if I could afford the extra £4k that I'd need to buy a Fiesta ST outright, then I'd probably be driving that instead. Once it arrives, I'm sure the GTI will be really well thought of.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i dont have the GTI although i would love one. i've had 3 Up!s now, '62, '13 and currently a '14 plate./ they are well build, cheap and economical. few minor flaws here and there but easily far superior car to its other rivals. also can be a bit of a badge snob to had the to be VW over the others. more than likely i will be looking to replace my current Up! with a TSI before i go to the GTI only because i cant afford it lol.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hmmmm.....

1. Because driving a Porsche in london will soon be outlawed and it needed money spending on it.
2. The test drive revealed a decent chassis under a mediocre exterior.
3. Because it's inexpensive enough that i can thrash it and do what i want to it without being overly worried.
4. Being Vag it's easy to tune, service and it will probably be reliable.
5. Because i look a tit in Fiat 500
6. Because every rude boy near the east of London owns a fiesta and expects you to race them.
7. Because the Suzuki is boring.
8. Because i couldn't justify the boot space in a MX5/124 as we go to France on a regular basis.
9. Because Audis are boring.
10. Because Vauxhalls didn't even cross my mind.
11. Because i can't own a Porsche in London without being charged a Kings ransom to drive it before long.
12. Did i mention about the Porsche?

·
Registered
91 Posts
1. Because I had a 60hp Citigo and loved it.
2. Same car with more power
3. V6 Golf does 24mpg
4. Can't afford a Porsche.
5. It's VAG and would be as reliable as all the other ones I've had.
6. The Lupo is no longer available.
7. It's manual, the wife won't be driving it!
8. Cheap to run and nicely made.
9. The dashboard looks nothing like a Ford/Kia/Hyundai/Nissan etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought a Citigo Mate Carlo for my daughter to learn to drive in. It is a brilliant car and having driven it for two years I can honestly say it's one of the best cars I've ever owned but with only 60hp it begged for more power. My daughter is taking the Monte back with her to University so I needed a new car, I also own an Audi SUV that my wife drives to work, so I wanted something small and fun just like the Monte but with more power, if only something like existed!

NB if Skoda we allowed by VW to put the same TSI engine in the Monte Carlo I would not have bought the GTI

Attachments

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I bought a Citigo Mate Carlo for my daughter to learn to drive in. It is a brilliant car and having driven it for two years I can honestly say it's one of the best cars I've ever owned but with only 60hp it begged for more power. My daughter is taking the Monte back with her to University so I needed a new car, I also own an Audi SUV that my wife drives to work, so I wanted something small and fun just like the Monte but with more power, if only something like existed!

NB if Skoda we allowed by VW to put the same TSI engine in the Monte Carlo I would not have bought the GTI

i do like the front of the Citigo, especially as its got a much getter grown up look and a proper grill :wink:
monte carlo kit does look good, also the citigo rear window line stays straight whereas on teh 3 door, the rear side window on the 3 door Up! kicks up. idm either but that makes the citigo stand out a bit more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was interested in it and booked a test drive.
I test drove it and loved it.
I drive through town to get to work and wanted something small enough to fit between the double parked delivery lorries.
I've been a petrolhead all my life and I've always respected cars with "VW" on the front and "GTI" on the back.

·
Registered
994 Posts
At the time the Up GTI was announced we were running two Golf Rs, a 67-plate estate and a 65-plate manual 5-door. The R estate fills the role of family car very well, but I do a 4 mile commute so both are a bit of a waste, and to be perfectly honest, not much fun! I'd been looking at 987 Boxsters and had researched buying one for 6 months, but ultimately I never felt comfortable with the idea of using one for constant short trips. Then the GTI was announced. I'd had Up courtesy cars numerous times and had always enjoyed driving them, so the combination of a small city car with GTI badge appealed enormously. I suggested it to Mrs P and she gave a resounding yes!

I was quite lucky to drive my dealers demo car early on, and within quarter of a mile had decided I would be having one!

·
Registered
147 Posts
i do like the front of the Citigo, especially as its got a much getter grown up look and a proper grill :wink:
monte carlo kit does look good, also the citigo rear window line stays straight whereas on teh 3 door, the rear side window on the 3 door Up! kicks up. idm either but that makes the citigo stand out a bit more.
The Monte has a proper front splitter and a rear diffuser, the rear spoiler is solid and not filmsy like the one on the GTI. Yes, I agree the rear window treatment is better and the interior has a much more special look about it than the GTI's bland interior. (but I do love the red ambient under the dashboard lighting in the GTI).

Every time I look at my daughter's car I love the look of it, and I do feel it was the bargain of the century as I only paid £10k from new at 0% finance. But 60hp just doesn't do it for me, shame because there's practically no difference in handling

·
Registered
994 Posts
Mediocre exterior?
Apparently easily fixed by a satin grey wrap and some big black alloys :wink:

I personally love the exterior, think it's judged perfectly.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
a shame the monte carlo fron splitter doesnt quite fit streaight onto the Up! as i've heard. i would be quite tempted to get one for my Up!, but im thinking of saving my pennies to get the TSI :) then maybe even a GTI after :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
The salesman at Skoda was absolutely convinced that there would be a TSi engine available for the Citigo but six months on nothing and then the GTI was launched, so bit of a no brainer really.

The GTI engine has a staggering amount of torque for such a small engine. It makes a very credible long distance cruiser, leave it in sixth and let the torque do the work. Fuel economy on the motorway is excellent as a result.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Apparently easily fixed by a satin grey wrap and some big black alloys :wink:

I personally love the exterior, think it's judged perfectly.
It is, very jelly mould. Doesn't exactly stand out in the car park does it amongst the other shopping trolleys of the world.

(btw the alloys are the same size as standard ;) )

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wanted something with a warranty, aircon, heated seats, cheap on fuel and not too common. It’s quite fun to drive.

Would say though, after owning for two months I still don’t feel that attachment to it like other cars. It’s not something you look back at after parking. Even though I quite enjoy washing cars, I’ve only done this car once and haven’t been inclined to wax etc. It’s just a functional car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Reasons

1 Wanted one since the GT concept
2 My daily hack grew from Fiat 500 TA to Polo Blue GT to Golf R Estate
3 Got a bit bored of Golf Rs as in the end I'd take the M2, both wasted on my commute to the offi
4 Liked the GTI at Frankfurt and thought it had something about it
5 Price was a no brainer
6 Modifications and consumables are relatively cheap
7 its an acquired taste
8 Fits in with the current fleet of 4 door R and M2, that said the GTI is so much fun it is my current weapon of choice
9 Freed up cash for my 718 Cayman GTS which arrives later in the year, which in theory should replace the M2 but may join it

·
Registered
994 Posts
Reasons

3 Got a bit bored of Golf Rs as in the end I'd take the M2, both wasted on my commute to the offi
5 Price was a no brainer
7 its an acquired taste
8 Fits in with the current fleet of 4 door R and M2, that said the GTI is so much fun it is my current weapon of choice
9 Freed up cash for my 718 Cayman GTS which arrives later in the year, which in theory should replace the M2 but may join it
Competition Pack seems to be getting some very positive reviews mate! I know you chose to can your order, but for me I think the engine in the CP would swing it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Competition Pack seems to be getting some very positive reviews mate! I know you chose to can your order, but for me I think the engine in the CP would swing it.
In reality the one thing that didn't really bother me on the 718 was the engine noise, the chassis and steering is what sold it for me after an hour of hooning one and then getting back into mine and need to get on the Porsche ladder.

Issue for me is the Comp is heavier and you are dealing with BMW and depreciation and its still not a 5 star car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Reasons

5 Price was a no brainer
7 its an acquired taste
Likewise I wanted one since I saw the GT concept, however.....

I really wanted it to have the front bumper from the concept, likewise twin exhausts a rear diffuser and crucially sports seats would have been on the wish list. The wheels look better without the shiny black finish that is standard on the GTI

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts