Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reason for buying an UP! GTI?

Just needed a replacement car that :

A. Could bring the same smile to my face as my previous car while driving it.

B. Is cheap to own, run, etc.

Though I must admit that the UP! GTI is no good looker in my books. But hey how often do you see the exterior of your car while driving?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Likewise I wanted one since I saw the GT concept, however.....

I really wanted it to have the front bumper from the concept, likewise twin exhausts a rear diffuser and crucially sports seats would have been on the wish list. The wheels look better without the shiny black finish that is standard on the GTI
Agree 100% with everything here.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Would say though, after owning for two months I still don’t feel that attachment to it like other cars. It’s not something you look back at after parking. Even though I quite enjoy washing cars, I’ve only done this car once and haven’t been inclined to wax etc. It’s just a functional car.
Absolutely agree with this. Mine is now just a toy and commuting car, I feel an affinity toward it but I can’t get emotional about it like my other cars I’ve had.

·
Banned
645 Posts
Ive just exchanged a two yr old Fiat Abarth Comp, for a new Up Gti.
The performance of the Abarth was simply too brutal, and fuel economy was not brilliant.
I had bought the car from new, and as it had been preregistered, i had it for considerably under list price.

Last year, i took my mothers Move Up, on a lengthy tour of Scotland, and even though it was horribly underpowered when any hill approached, it was very comfortable on a long journey, and had superb fuel economy.

Changing my Abarth for the Gti Up, was a fairly easy decision, as the p/x valuation of my car for a new Up, was simply too good to turn down, i lost less than £800 for two yrs motoring.

Maybe the Up Gti will be totally underpowered compared to the near 180hp from my Abarth, but none of that really matters, the Up is cheaper to insure, returns better fuel economy, and will put just a big smile on my face, just as large as the Abarth.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very simple, my wife's Fiat 500C was starting to get tired, so I went for the GTI.

I drive an X5 normally but have totally fallen in love with mine.

The wife now drives the X5 and I whizz around Plymouth in this one.

The only time I drive the Beamer is when I play golf (at least twice a week) and as it's only 1/4 mile away, I am now a VW driver.

·
Registered
503 Posts
OK, mines a TSI but I feel the love

I may not be the usual profile, just retired and I wanted to down size. No more company credit card or fuel, so cheap to run and fuel. VW badge swung it, if VAG decide to make the best car in class, you know it makes sense. Great reviews and won every groups test for 5 years

The surprise was, its actually great to drive, more grown up the the rivals, does all the jobs you could resonably ask of it, whats not to like:devil:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Put my mother in one 2 and a bit years ago - great wee car
When the, now wife, moved up from Yorkshire, she had a Tiguan on PCP but held it back - We needed another car
Seen the Up!, knew they were great wee cars. 12k miles and £6k ish...Bargain
Cheap to run, insure and actually good fun to drive with a great wee Chassis underneath.
Ideal for running about town and supermarkets but surprisingly holds it own on a 200+ miles run down to Yorkshire and the 200 miles back again.
Well built
Like my German cars

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello folks

First time posting. I’m picking up my Up GTI on Monday all being well. Brand new 5dr in White with a few options (Black Roof, Cruise/Park, paint protection). It’s replacing my BMW 320D Touriing Xdrive. My wife and I have always loved VWs, this will be no10, and the first car we bought together was a Mk1 Polo in baby blue.....many moons ago.

My wife already drives an Up Black which we bought last August and we are over the moon with it. I preferred it to my BM as a drivers car (yes, really) as we live in the country with the inherent narrow (cow dung covered) roads. .

I’ve had a warm/hot hatch history running from a Fiesta 1.4S through various 205 and 309GTIs, BMW 120i Sport and 3 MINI Coopers. Trouble is they were quite a while ago and I’m now 54. Sincerely hoping I don’t look somewhat out of place driving it.

·
Banned
645 Posts
For the past two and a half years, ive been driving a Abarth 695, which i bought new as a preregistered vehicle in Dec 2016.
It is out of warranty in September, and on enquiring about the cost of a replacement emissions Lambada probe, which is being replaced under warranty this week, they told me it would have cost me £225.

That sounds a little excessive, but Abarth main dealer service charges are on par with the likes of Mercedes and Audi, and its a round trip of 115miles to my nearest Abarth dealership.

The car cost me a very handsome £10995 when new, as it had been heavily discounted as a preregistered model.

Vw Llandudno gave me £10500 for it P/X against a new Up Gti, so it was an easy decision to make.

Ive owned a metallic blue Move Up since August last year, and even though its terribly underpowered on any hill, its a lovely car to drive on a long journey, returning economy of 70mpg.

The Up Gti looks the part, and having a six speed box, wil improve its economy potential.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I have a 2019 UP GTI 5 door.

This is my perfect car because I needed to progress from Mark 1 Minis to a 'small car' for the 21st Century!

Old minis are vastly too small for the modern roads and they are not protective or safe in a crash!

Also, I love the 'blank canvas' aspect of the car which allows me too cherry pick the best upgrades and performance mods to create what for me will be the "best small car in the world"

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a Smart For Two Diesel automatic which i owned from new for 10 years and had only done10K miles in the car. It was an excellent car which i could have kept for another 10 years, but i fancied a change and sold my Smart to a dealer for a great price.

I test drove 4 Mini Cooper automatics, 4 Toyota Aygo automatics and 2 Up GTIs. The Minis were good but would have cost a lot more than the UP GTI and i did not like the staff in Mini showrooms. The Aygos were excellent. Nice and quiet with a smooth auto box, I wanted the X cite in Orange (Mandarin Pop ) but that colour was no longer available and very rare on the used market. ( One was advertised on Autotrader 2 weeks after i bought my UP GTI....Typical )

I then test drove the UP GTI and was very impressed. Quiet engine, comfortable and quick. It had all the toys as well, Cruise control, heated seats and the car looked good. I also found the car had the best owners forum, this one.

I bought the car online for a great price and have been very happy with it. I must be perfectly honest and say i still prefer automatics and i cant see myself keeping the car for 10 years as i did with my Smart. I will probably keep it for 3 or 4 years and all my future cars will be automatic 100% Mini, Aygo, Polo GTI or even electric if they come down in price, perhaps the Renault Zoe. However for now i am happy with my UP GTI and love driving it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
lt is true that once you've driven a modern automatic car you do wonder what the point of a manual gearbox is.

l think many people remember automatics from the 1980's where they only had three speeds, used more fuel, and were slower.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes that is true. The old style autos were only any good in big cars, like the Jag XJ6 and the Ford Granada both of which i had. Today autos are good in big and small cars. There are different types of auto box as well, Automated manual, CVT and Double clutch.

I have had loads of manual and auto cars in my driving history but i certainly prefer autos. Thankfully being a retired OAP old codger ( who still thinks he is 21 ) i do not drive in the rush hour, in fact i drive very little these days, but in Manchester there is always traffic or road works, so a lot of stop start and up and down the gears.

The Mini would have cost £5K more than i paid for my UP GTI the same year and the Aygos that were available ( Not Orange ) were £1K more at the time than my UP GTI. Pros and Cons. The Aygo, automatic even flappy paddles large reverse camera screen, standard spare wheel, chain drive and 5 year warranty, but slow 0-60 in 15 and 1/2 secs and amazingly the same price to insure as the GTI.

The UP GTI looks good, well made tartan heated seats, cruise control, lovely steering wheel, quick 0-60 in 8 and 1/2 secs, comfortable to sit in. Its 95% perfect for me. If it was automatic it would be 100% perfect for me. At the end of the day i thought it was the best to drive, even if it was manual and being the cheapest to buy because of the amazing price i got the car for, that sealed the deal for me.I do think its a great car and i love it, but i still love autos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought one as I wanted something that is sporty, looks good and has 5 doors. Only the Up Gti was in my price range. Also we have a T5.1 campervan so adding another VW to the clan seemed like a good idea. We now have Big & Small.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well, I just hate everyone on this thread :)
I didn't have the budget for a new GTi last year, and there were no good, very-low mileage ones available in my area, when I genuinely needed a car, so I ended up with a Citigo SE-L 75PS (600 miles on the clock, and the lowered greentech type), which is great (and better looking than most Ups). But a man can dream...... :(

·
Registered
784 Posts
I was very happy with my '67 plate 5-door Tsi which I bought as ex demo with 150 miles on from new, and 3 months old. I even said I woiuldn't bother with a GTi as the performance wasn't that much better.
Then my daughter went with the intention to buy a Tsi, and had a test drive of the Gti. She changed her mind immediately to the Gti.
I still wasn't convinced, I'd only had the Tsi about 18 months, but drove her Gti half the way back from Lincoln where she bought it and was smitten.
I was lucky that the dealer had pre-ordered one for stock, in just the colour and spec that I had chosen, in January 2019. It was due to be delivered in July / August 2019, but came a little early, and I picked it up 25th June. So I only had about 6 weeks wait !
Still smitten. I've had Mk1, 2, 3, and 4 Golf Gti's, and this is the most fun I've had in a road car since the Mk1 I had all those years ago, perhaps even better.
Best value for money small hot hatch, bar none. So glad I decided to change.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts