Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Plenty of posts about this including some very well done modifications. Personally not a problem to me and easily overcome by adding a magnetic light at a cost of £2.99. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Fiat 500 also came without a boot light - I can accept that an economy car comes with some compromises. But the Up! compensates in many other delightful ways: emergency braking, integrated sat nav and excellent in-car audio (standard features in Oz-spec 5-doors).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not as penny pinching as our Aygo was.
The Aygo only had a switch on the driver's door. The passenger door would not put on the interior light!!
Weirdly opening the boot activates the interior light so all switching is present (also the M&M screen detects which door / boot is open so it is separate switching). An extra bulb would just be pennies.
A 2nd remote key would be nice too!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
uphu said:
So you get something different than the RCD 215?

We get the RCD215 head unit with 6 speakers (4 front, 2 rear). The RMT200 is available as a dealer-fitted option.

Edited by: peterche

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't get why people moan about the boot light - I don't think I have EVER required a light in there in my 30 years of car ownership.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
ahhh, but that is sunny France......not pitch-dark Scotland

only kidding!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't need a boot light but have fitted a stick on £4 motion sensor one and it is handy to have. In the past I have slobbered on my phone while holding it in my mouth as a torch while I fiddle around in the boot with 2 hands.

·
Registered
333 Posts
For my boot light I have a rechargeable tube light always handy in case of emergenciesIe changing a wheel plus loads of other uses bought from eBay £9 pound it would light a bus up plus my up lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
We too have fitted a small self adhesive motion sensor boot LED light and very handy it is too. Very poor of VW not to fit on or make one available.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used to drink with one of the original designers of the Freelander and he made a comment once which is sort of along the lines of this. He said about the spare wheel on the back has 2 of the bolts missing but is perfectly fine with just the 3 left. The money that they saved by not using those 2 bolts on every Freelander produced that year was enough to employ another engineer each year so that's what they did insteadEdited by: Duffstar

·
Registered
52 Posts
I totally understand the economics of not fitting a small component to 100s of thousands of cars adding up to millions. It is just a shame that many people who might like such conveniences can't easily get one. Perhaps a 'convenience' pack could be offered by VW to include a window switch on driver's side, sun visor mirror, boot light and arm rest?

·
Registered
851 Posts
tiger885 said:
I totally understand the economics of not fitting a small component to 100s of thousands of cars adding up to millions. It is just a shame that many people who might like such conveniences can't easily get one. Perhaps a 'convenience' pack could be offered by VW to include a window switch on driver's side, sun visor mirror, boot light and arm rest?
Good idea! Then everyone's a winner: the customer gets what they want and VW get the cost + margin for doing it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I suppose it all depends upon what you expect from a city car that, in High Up trim, comprises heated front seats.

Given the choice between heated front seats and a boot light, I'm rather pleased that the designers of the Up behaved rather impulsively.

Moreover, I think I'm safe in concluding that competing marques, in the same vehicle class, simply fail to offer their customers the same unrivalled driving experience, combined with the interior comfort, that owners of the VW Ups enjoy.

But, again, who am I to judge. Go ahead and waste your money on a Toyota Aygo or a Vauxhall Adam.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes the heated seats are nice! Heated mirrors would be nice too on a frosty night or morning but I guess one can't have everything.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
It has heated mirrors....turn the mirror knob to the forward position !

·
Registered
47 Posts
I haven't seen a warning that the mirror heaters are on, so don't forget to switch them off again

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
mine are on all the time, but then again I live in Scotland!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts