Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering why we have all picked the VW over the sister cars from Seat and Skoda?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I was tempted to go for a Seat, ive heard good things, but could resist going for another VW, especially as cute as the up! is. I've always driven VW's since i passed my driving test, we're a multiple VW household, mum has had a polo for years, dad had an eos as a company car, and now being retired has a golf convertible. my current car is also a polo, we've always loved them, quality and reliability.... the only reason I'm now changing my polo for the up! is because my polo is now 12 years old and being the open air edition unfortunatly the soft roof has finally got holes and is leaking and will cost more than the whole car is worth to fix it...
i know Skoda is amazing value for money, just never been tempted.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The spec and costs will be close and it's down the the hundreds of pounds.

two words - product desirability.

Also, but not relevant for me.

re-sale or residualvalue

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been having a look at the Skoda and Seat this morning, both nice, the Seat especially! But I've noticed one thing that really put me off! The 3 door versions of the Mii and Citigo, on the back passengers windows they are flat while on the Up it has an angle .... if that makes any sense!

See it now??

I prefer the Ups looks! that and the level of customisation you could get on it!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The fact the Mii and Citigo aren't available at the moment is a big factor.

The English Seat website now has details of all the models and if you visit the Spanish Seat website you can configure the car:http://carconfigurator.seat.com/seat-cc/main-seat-003-es.view?msk=1#carline

One nice thing about the Mii is that it seems all the engines can be combined with all the models.

In the end the price difference is minimal and it comes down to your own tastes. The Seat has the yellow colour option and can look a bit more sporty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the sound of the Mii it is in between the skoda and the vw. It is VW - Seat - Skoda in respect of how customisable they are.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Might have bought the SEAT if it was available when we bought the up, but it was not and the VW dealer is much closer to home. Did not like the look of the front of the skoda, otherwise might have considered it, but again it was not available.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The up has some exclusives. The kink in the rear window and the full glass tailgate are only on the up. There is not much in it but think the up looks the best of the three. I already own a Skoda so it is not a badge decision for me.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The VW looks the coolest and has the badge that matters

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am not sure have you been on seat's website yes you don't get one or two styling tweaks of the VW but there is alot to customise and it ends up looking very close to the VW. I love VW but if you can get a 5 door sport for the same as a high up then it makes a strong case for its self. (this information is unconfirmed as I have not yet seen pricing for the seat it is based on the fact there will be aprox £500 difference between the cars)

·
Registered
128 Posts
The main reason for us buying the UP! was how it drives and looks. Seat and Skoda seemed to have managed to make a cheeky looking design look boring and frumpy. The main reason anyone opts for the less desireable sister company offerings has always been cost driven but in this case its £500 max..................why would you!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Whenever you talk to anyone who owns a Seat or Skoda the first thing they say is "its a VW underneath you know" as if they have to justify their choice! ...................get the real thing!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would think that Seat and Skoda are bought by people that either prefer the styling or the cheaper prices or both :) Both good. I bought my Octavia Sport as it was well built, cheaper than a Golf and with a much bigger boot (handy with two small children). The Mii and the Citigo are a little different though. No size advantage and little in money saving so would be surprised if these two made much of an impact to the up! sales. Perhaps sold to those loyal to a brand or don't know about the others existence?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes but if VW say you cant have one until December but you can have a seat in a month I think some people would be swayed quite a bit.

·
Registered
553 Posts
We have a Skoda dealer on the doorstep but the VW is in the next county!

Still no contest!

VW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts