Up Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look I know Christmas has come and gone and we are all suffering from all that excess food & drink. But the wind noise I am referring to seems to be coming from the drivers side. And at the top of the door. I noticed it recently on a long motorway journey. It’s not loud but it’s there alright. Anybody have or had this ?

By the way It’s going into VW in a couple of weeks to look at the rear suspension. So I have also asked them to look at this too.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Up!s etc I have been in all have a bit of noise from door mirrors, in common with many cars, but generally not bad.

If you are getting wind noise from the driver's side in particular, and a passenger can confirm their side is less noisy, then it will most likely be that the driver's door needs adjusting inwards a tad to tighten the fit onto the seal, or it's a poorly fitting seal. Could also possibly be that the window is not fully home, I guess, or misaligned a fraction.

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the reply Steve. As far as I can tell its coming from the drivers side. SWMBO has said nothing from the passenger side. And I have heard nothing when sitting there either.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I'd lean or bodge into the driver's door from outside a bit, near the handle, with your bum or hip. If it moves at all, it may need adjusting.

But don't forget the mirrors are quite asymmetric - that may make a difference anyway.

Check the window goes up 100% smoothly too and stays straight.

FWIW, these cars are really not bad on wind noise.

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s possible it could jus be me. If they said they all do that I wouldn’t be too upset being honest. Turn the stereo up and hey presto noise is gone. But whilst VW have it why not ask about it. That’s my thoughts on it anyway

·
Registered
596 Posts
It’s possible it could jus be me. If they said they all do that I wouldn’t be too upset being honest. Turn the stereo up and hey presto noise is gone. But whilst VW have it why not ask about it. That’s my thoughts on it anyway
One problem with cars that have ambient noise well sorted is it allows you to more clearly hear other noises. I had a ride in a Panda 4x4 Cross a couple of years ago with the Twinair engine… what a f** racket! Fine as a concept but you have to thrash the crap out of it all the time and that generates a lot of noise which enters the cabin, an Up! GTi is a limo in comparison, so much so that they had to fit a sound generator to make it sound a bit more GTi.

Wink, wink, it’s probably because you’ve had the actuator turned down that you can hear this noise. 🤔

Hope they can sort it 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts