Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Up is fairly quiet for a small car, seals around the doors seem fine and the engine is also quiet when I'm not accelerating.
The only noise I do get when I am doing over 60 mph is wind noise that seems to be on the windscreen. It's not to bad and you can soon get used to it.
Anyone else noticed it ?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sorry cant say i haveWhat sort of noise is it? Whistling??

·
Registered
448 Posts
Can't say I have noticed any wind noise from around the windscreen.As you say ..door seals are fine.For a small car built to a budget I am still amazed at it's ( Bigger car feel ). The only noise I have been aware of, compared to our last bigger car, is tyre rumble on certain road surfaces.....unless the Mrs is going off on one....but that's another story.

GO well.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes! It was the first thing i noticed when i collected my car and i haven't really got used to it 9 months later. You're the only other person who's mentioned it. Everyone else goes on about their gearbox whistling but mine's quiet as can be. I wonder if we're all hearing the same noise but attributing it to different things?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Could well be.I can hear the gearbox noise.....( not much sound insulation? ) but is not a problem at all....in fact I think it adds to the overall sound of the car......which to my mind is quite pleasing. My engine is like a little sewing machine,until I give it a few Revs and then it sounds really great. I think mini 911 has already been said.I can honestly say that I can not say anything negative about our Up! I love it more and more.

Go well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Derkie. There is a small amount of wind noise from around the "A" pillars, but I must admit a don't really notice it, or blank it out.

Matt

·
Registered
583 Posts
Derkie54 said:
The only noise I do get when I am doing over 60 mph is wind noise that seems to be on the windscreen. It's not to bad and you can soon get used to it.
Anyone else noticed it ?
Sure - it's not really noticeable up to 60, then comes on fairly rapidly when you get over 60.

I doubt it's the A-pillars though, they have rather clean airflow over them and onto the side windows as rain stains will show.
Mirrors appear aerodynamically OK as well.

The noise seems to be generated somewhere more central, i.e. from the windshield area itself.
It could be the wiper cavity, or the air blowing out over the roof rather than following the windshield-roof transition.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does seem to come from the centre of the windscreen it's probably whistling around the wipers or something like that.
Not a big issue for me especially as others have noticed it.
It is not gearbox related as I tried coasting down a long hill in neutral and it is still there.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes i'd agree with centre too. I think it could be the airflow through the centre vent which - unusually - blows the air out upwards. I wonder if the air is whistling through this ventilation ducting?

·
Registered
583 Posts
AlanG said:
Yes i'd agree with centre too. I think it could be the airflow through the centre vent which - unusually - blows the air out upwards. I wonder if the air is whistling through this ventilation ducting?
In that case, changing the way the ventilation blows would eliminate the noise - I seem to recall there's at least one setting where there's no air coming from the top center opening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts