Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into tinting the windows on my up! when it arrives but does anyone know the tint levels on the factory rear tint on the up! Black/White?

Am I right in thinking this is part of one of the packs? Sport?

Anyway, found this on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-UP-3D-HATCH-11-12-5-REAR-PRE-CUT-CAR-WINDOW-TINT-KIT-AUTO-FILM-/270946074349?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f15a4feed#ht_2960wt_1270

The fitting kit looks a bit minty though. Found another though:

http://www.window-tint.co.uk/window-tinting-tools/3114-window-tint-fitting-kit.html

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have this and it is part of the Sport Pack. I think, but stand to be corrected, that the privacy glass tint from the factory is 65%. I've had it on all my cars since 2002 but I think it looks really good on the Up!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes I'm thinking of having my rear windows tinted too! I did see those pre cut tints on eBay, in fact our son has just bought them for his Audi, but hasn't fitted them yet, as he's just moved and very busy with the house at the moment. I thought I'd wait and see what his looks like
I was also wondering what percentage tint to use, thanks veedub-ally

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Invariably a professional tinted will make a much better job of it than having a go yourself....for a small cost, let the pros do it ...they usually guarantee their work too.

I reckon the up would be an easy job as the rear windows are fixed so no chance of delamination and scratching.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes! I think you're right, we do have a local firm that looks good and don't charge too much, I think that's what I'll do

·
Registered
421 Posts
We did the back windows on our Delica, take it somewhere as it will probably ruin a great relationship with your life partner doing it at home.

We're the calmest of people but believe me there was murder in the air that afternoon!!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Just think how difficult it is to put a screen protector on your iPhone or similar, multiply area x 500 and that's how easy it is......unless you want crackle finish windows like the myriad of hi-ace vans etc [:)]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're probably right Privatedoc. It's a case of having the confidence, patience and right tools to do a proper job but it all adds up.

You do see some awful diy jobs out there and who wants one of those on your up!.

I might get some quotes for the back three windows.

Is anyone else noticing how hot the car gets inside? This initially was for some privacy/to hide some stuff I have in the car with the seats down but I'm thinking more now of keeping some of the heat out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, I have noticed it gets very hot in the up! I've always got my air con on, I thought it was because I'm a woman of that certain age LOL

·
Registered
705 Posts
Surely having black tinted windows increases the temperature inside the car? Black absorbs heat much more efficiently than a lighter colour, as I've found with the black canvas roof on my current StreetKa, which gets extremely hot when the sun's on it. Does anyone else remember the agony caused by sitting on black vinyl seats in the summer - I have vivid memories of a SEAT 500 on Mallorca back in the early 70s - ouch!

A lot of modern buildings have a silver film on the windows to reflect the light and heat.

Nick

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The company I was looking at claims 'up to 60%' heat reduction and 99% UV blockage.

They use a multi-layer film that reflects the heat apparently.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We have factory fitted rear tints in our Saab, they were recomended by the dealer for keeping the car cooler when parked & they do.

In addition they stop car lights from behind causing problems in the rear view mirror !!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The closest shade to factory tints on the up is 35%. Shades generally available from tint shops are 50%, 35%, 20% and 5%. The lower the number the darker the tint. I have 50% on my back 3 windows and because I have the dark interior this looks dark enough for me!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got tints done on my polo nplanningit for the up ill go with 20% for the rear and 35% for the front. your glass is already restricting light in the hence being 75% so any shade of tint at front is illegal but rarely get pulled over.

i got it done by aprofessional.its pricey but makes life easier

1 - 14 of 14 Posts