Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joy of joy, lend the other half the car and it comes back with a big chip in the windscreen!

Just had Autoglass come and look and they cannot repair, needs a new screen.

Now starts the worry, do I let Autoglass do the replacement, dreading the thought of leaks etc, what will happen to the warranty and the final straw is what happens to the lasers for the city braking system. The handbook says it will need recalibrating after the repair. Autoglass should be the best at the winscreen replacement, based on what my local VW dealer knows about UP's I have little hope they would give me a sensible answer barr yes bring it to us we want the money!

The other great joy is that windscreens are on back order at VW UK.

Moral of the story dont let the other half touch my baby and dont damage the windscreen

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've just had the glass done on my X5 unfortunately, but the chaps that did it saw the up! and were quite interested and had a good look at the glass and the way it was fixed in, etc. They reckoned it wouldn't be at all difficult to do, they were quite impressed with the apparent simplicty of it.
I talked to them about leaking and they said that, apart from certain cars, it was very rare these days. And the latest mastic bonding glues set in about 1/2 hr. True to their word the X5 has been fine, no leaks.
I was very nervous about getting someone other than BMW to do the screen, but actually it's fine; they probably do many more than BMW anyway and the chaps that came weren't young and I stood over them making sure they were careful, too!
Given that experience I'd recommend to use a major glass fitter over at least our local VW garage!
Can't comment on the laser stuff; our up! doesn't have it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When our golf had a new screen due to a chip, they replaced the whole electronic module for the rain sensors etc.
I expect you will get a new sensor as its similar electronics.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I had a 7 series windscreen replaced by a major BMW dealer and they said themselves that they brought auto glass in to fit it then the calibrated the electronics

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The sensors just peel off and stick back on... I had a screen chanhed that had a rain and light sensor and it was fine...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Finallyup.
I've had a couple of screens changed over the years by Autoglass and never had any issues with leaks. As for the sensor, Autoglass should calibrate it if necessary, but usually once they are calibrated at the factory that's usually it. At Toyota we have to put the car into "check mode"/ maintenance mode through the OBD II connector to calibrate anything. Things such as the HID light lights, auto level sensor and IPA ( Intelligent Park Assist) which parks the car for you, aswell as Lane Keep Assist. The auto light/rain sensors do not require any calibration.

If I were you though I would stand and watch them, just in case. The mastic used to seal the screen at the factory does require a "cheese" wire to remove though, but usually the person removing the screen angles thetwo ends of the wire towards the centre of the screen, so the body work around the roof and "A" pillars shouldn't get scratched.

I hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
93 Posts
We have always used Autoglass for anything from a Discovery, Mercedes and BMW cabriolet. They always do a professional job regardless of heated screens and sensors.

Nick

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, guys not even trusting the biggest company in changing windscreens for cars in Europe? Like, really? The Volvo authorized workshop i had apprenticeship in even used them, and nothing wrong there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had two windscreens so far in my up!, both fitted by Autoglass with no problems.

Like most cars now, the up! has a bonded screen with the blacked-out area around the edge. Both stone impacts were on this black edge (close to the tax disc area) and apparently even a small stone impacting around the edge will normally cause the screen to crack. I was unlucky - two screens inside 3 months and a £150 dent in the cars low running costs!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts