Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, only noticed it today and don't know if it is just a one off.... however, like we all know it has been raining and my windscreen washer was squeaking everytime they reached the neutral position down towards the bonnet. has anyone else found this?

it didnt matter if I was on intermittent, normal or fast setting. I could hear it over my music, which I like my music loud. However, I havent heard it before and Ive used them plenty before....

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Squeaks are normally caused by the wiper hitting a dry bit of the screen...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Mine squeaks a bit sometimes too, depending on how heavy the rain is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've heard that wiping the blades with vinegar helps.

No idea why that should be the case.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Because the acid vinegar removes the grease from the blades and helps to clean the screen.

A good wipe of the screen with vinegar or meths is a good idea too.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, it was raning pretty hard, so i cant think that it would be hitting a dry section.

i shall try the vinegar thing, see if that helps, if not I guess its a mechanism thing, but havent been out in the rain since...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine's doing it Gemma, the drivers wiper bounces on the screen. will give it a proper wipe with some vinegar.....when it eventually stops raining!!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah glad its not only mine, weirdly I havent had to use them properly since. but like you say, once its a little drier, the vinagar shall be put into action!

·
Registered
705 Posts
White vinegar is a very useful cleaning product and has less of that chip-shop smell of the brown malt variety.

An alternative to vinegar (acetic acid) is lemon juice, which is citric acid, and it smells nicer.

Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts