Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Do anybody elses windscreen wipers judder and squeek and propper p***s you off? I had the car a week and love it, but every time it rains and use them, they squeek going up, judder comming down and leave smear marks! Do I ask my dealers to look at them or give my glass a bloody good wash?

When the car has its first wash at vw do the spray wax all over it? If they do maybe its gone all over my windscreen and rear screen to make this problem?

After driving home this evening I nearly rang vw to give them a few words because it really really really peed me off!
Edited by: Itzben

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hello, up doesn't have viper heater in the front window, that's why when the temperature gets low, vipers get harder and starting to make noise. Just set the heater to blow hot air on windows. Other thing - spray the windshield washer, it shoud help for some time.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O for got to mension I sprayed the washer a few times to give the blades a good lubricating if you no what I mean? Thats a point its got worse as the temps gone down, didn't do it as much last week and its got worse...so its the bloody weather lol

·
Registered
851 Posts
I remember someone on the forum saying that they used some sort of waxy coating on a previous car that was put on everywhere including the windscreen. From that moment on, the wipers juddered. He said he spent the next 7 years trying to rectify it and never succeeded. I suspect he - like me - uses nothing other than water now.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My wipers were noisy for the first week, then settled right down to be no trouble at all.i guessed it was because they were new.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AlanG said:
I remember someone on the forum saying that they used some sort of waxy coating on a previous car that was put on everywhere including the windscreen. From that moment on, the wipers juddered. He said he spent the next 7 years trying to rectify it and never succeeded. I suspect he - like me - uses nothing other than water now.
O no the missus defo wont let me remove that (you'll get it Alan from a previous thread lol)

·
Registered
851 Posts
The thing is, if you remove the windscreen, then you'll have to say Oi - windscreen - no!!!! I admire your ability to keep my hair from being windswept, but disappearing to leave me with wet footwells is right out of order. You and your minimalist plans are not welcome round my house.

The Self Righteous Bens!

Hee Hee.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Chloroform is great for removing any residue from glass - but does have one or two drawbacks! :)

Failing that, I have found Mr Muscle household glass cleaner (green liquid in a pump spray) better than any car glass cleaner and well worth a try. Don't forget to do the wiper blades with it - lightly - too.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ChesterDog said:
Chloroform is great for removing any residue from glass - but does have one or two drawbacks! :)

Failing that, I have found Mr Muscle household glass cleaner (green liquid in a pump spray) better than any car glass cleaner and well worth a try. Don't forget to do the wiper blades with it - lightly - too.
I know the one you mean, I use it all the time at work for our mirrors lol

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AlanG said:
The thing is, if you remove the windscreen, then you'll have to say Oi - windscreen - no!!!! I admire your ability to keep my hair from being windswept, but disappearing to leave me with wet footwells is right out of order. You and your minimalist plans are not welcome round my house.

The Self Righteous Bens!

Hee Hee.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the autoglym vallet collection and inside that has glass polish and I'm abit wary weather to use, might try it on a mates car first see if it messes up or cleans up lol The autoglym pack also came with a detailing booklet telling the user techniques and how things work and what for and it states do not use house hold cleaning products on cars, so again abit wary of using the mr muscle but it's what I've used on many cars in the past!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha wouldn't want to use it on ma fish and chips lol

·
Registered
430 Posts
My wipers are quite but I have noticed last couple of days they have started smearing a bit. It coincides with using de-icer so it could be that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same issue with the Smart cars.
A product called Rain-ex I believe helps.
Otherwise standard car polish every now and then helps bead the water off and give the wipers something to glide over.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Itzben said:
ChesterDog said:

I know the one you mean, I use it all the time at work for our mirrors lol
If your windscreens are genuinely greasy and water does not wet the glass without beading, then do what I have always done to get a perfect wiping surface. This involves buying some Silvo metal polish (for Silver and Silver Plate). Buy the liquid in the screw top can and not any wadding type.
Wash you windscreen thoroughly to make sure there are no abrasive bit in its vicinity and then when dry, apply Silvo to a nice flannely cloth and rub over the surface until it feels as though any wax residues have been remove. Allow to dry to a white film and then buff off. Then go over the windscreen with a well soaked leather or synthetic one and see whether the water now wets the glassproperly without beading. Any suspect areas can be re-treated.
This is a bit of an arm aching work but it is efficacious and makes your wipes silent, as they should be.

Edited by: HHGTTG

·
Registered
18 Posts
This sounds very familiar to a situation me and my wife had when I had a Scirocco and she a Yeti both bought new at the same time. The Scirocco's wipers have been a problem since the the latest Model came out with many complaints on the Scirocconet Forum - problems with noise, judder and smearing. My wife's Yeti had exactly the same type and size of wiper but no problems whatsoever. I tried swapping her blades for mine - instant fix. When inspected the blades more closely I noticed that they were from different Manufacturers and the Scirocco's were definitely a cheaper product. So whenever I needed new blades I used to buy Skoda ones. Now I have a Citigo - wipers totally silent, never judder or smear. I wonder if it is the same issue again. You shouldn't need to use special products on the screen just so that the wipers will work properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Chiefy said:
This sounds very familiar to a situation me and my wife had when I had a Scirocco and she a Yeti both bought new at the same time. The Scirocco's wipers have been a problem since the the latest Model came out with many complaints on the Scirocconet Forum - problems with noise, judder and smearing. My wife's Yeti had exactly the same type and size of wiper but no problems whatsoever. I tried swapping her blades for mine - instant fix. When inspected the blades more closely I noticed that they were from different Manufacturers and the Scirocco's were definitely a cheaper product. So whenever I needed new blades I used to buy Skoda ones. Now I have a Citigo - wipers totally silent, never judder or smear. I wonder if it is the same issue again. You shouldn't need to use special products on the screen just so that the wipers will work properly.
Yes you do, if some idiot garage employee has treated your paintwork with one of those finishes that are supposed to give longlife protection and also done your windscreen as well. And there are many other incidences where your screen may be come contaminated or accidentally splattered with wax, oil etc. from road spray. Need I elaborate further?
As I say, if your wipers wipe silently on glass that wets perfectly when rain falls on it, without steaking or beading, then mytreatment isn't necessary. I have bought many products, over the years that are supposed to clean glass but nothing has worked as well or as effectively as that described above.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts