Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been searching on the forum for the removal of the UP! wing mirrors as I was looking to wrap them but to no avail there nothing to show how its done.

See below on how I did it

First of all you need to remove the glass which isn't much of a problem, you'll just need the trim removal tool on the far left which you can buy from ebay for a few quid.

Just wedge it in and prise it off the clips making sure you don't flex the mirror too much and break it.

Once that is done your left with the outer ring shell which using the trim tool can be gently prised off its clips, just start in the top location and work yourself around.

Now that's done, you can see a clip which needs to be pressed in and the rear cover is removed.

With the covers removed you should have access to other parts of the wing mirror assembly.

To assemble just reverse instructions

Edited by: Chrismo88

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nice work and clear instructions...

Have you wrapped the covers yet?

Don't forget to post pics !!

Edited by: dash

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers,

Ordered some carbon fibre vinyl so hopefully will have it this week to play with.

Shouldn't be hard to wrap it as it doesn't have many tight corners.

Will post pics when done, then onto more wrapping and removal tutorials

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just wrapped a shark fin antenna in carbon which was quite hard to do but looks good none the less.

Tested wrapping the wing mirror in a black vinyl this afternoon and was extremely easy as you can take the majority of the wing apart and wrap it with the cover on then pull the cover off to wrap it round and do the finishing touches.

I've taken it off ready for the carbon wrap when it arrives as I like to do it a few time to get a good idea how to do it properly

Next thing I'll probably do is remove the front bumper to get access to the VW logo and wrap the inner section in carbon

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Can you prize the glass out from either side?

Or should you do from left or right?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Think it pops out how ever you prize it, but let someone else confirm first haha was a while since I did mine

Think I did it from top to bottomEdited by: Itzben

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I did it from the right on the drivers side... Came off fine...

I could see the heated mirror wires in the gap, so removed glass to bend wires out of the edge and put it back. Now can't see wires.. Perfect ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts

Just followed your instructions and fitted these silver mirror caps! Thank you, I wasn't comfortable trying to prise off the mirror glass. But once that is done with a bit of persistence it came off easily the cap just clips off and the new ones clipped on!
Eric

·
Registered
18 Posts

Just followed your instructions and fitted these silver mirror caps! Thank you, I wasn't comfortable trying to prise off the mirror glass. But once that is done with a bit of persistence it came off easily the cap just clips off and the new ones clipped on!
Eric
Hello
Nice job. May I ask where did you find those silver caps?
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts