Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took the plunge today and ordered a set from mytyres complete with steel rims. I might be a little late to the party, but February could still be bad.

·
Registered
462 Posts
What tyres did you go for ?
We have got good use out of our winter tyres last couple of days we have Conti TS800Edited by: Ian986

·
Registered
55 Posts
How much did you pay for the wheels? I was suprised that genuine VW ones were only £26 each.I bought my winter tyres from oponeo £40+ each and fitted the lot myself.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
I have ordered a set of Bridgestone blizaks 165/70r14 worked out to be just over £70 a corner. I had a set of hankook winters on BMW mini alloys but sold these last year. These should last me a good few years I hope

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have been advised that winter tyres work best when nearly new - not only because the tread is fresh but also the tyre compound is at it's most effective (supple).

I have Pirelli 'Snow Control' Winter 190 Series 3 tyres in 185/55/15. They aren't as well known in the UK but were highly rated on several internet sites and available from mytyres.

I am planning to get two winters from them before checking whether they are still operating effectively. Fortunately with the mileage I do I probably won't get much more than two winters out of them anyway, assuming I were to change at the recommended 4mm minimum tread depth.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah once the sipes have gone its time to bin them. Hopefully I should get 2/3 winters out of them. Anyone know where I can get some center caps for them?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Any 4 stud VW centre cap should snap onto the wheel studs.

I have MkII Golf/Scirroco/Corrado black caps/wheel nut covers I got on eBay, but there are smooth caps available (that were fitted to Golfs and Polos) that fit in the same way.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Upmeister said:
I am planning to get two winters from them before checking whether they are still operating effectively... assuming I were to change at the recommended 4mm minimum tread depth.
Good winter tyres will still be OK in their 3rd or 4th season - as long as they have enough thread depth.

No need to change them at 4mm depth - simply run 'm down in spring / summer and they'll go off fast in warmer weather

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got mine fitted today, they work so well on the ice and snow, very impressed indeed :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts