Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the question is out of season, but anyway I prefer to come prepared.
My up has alloy rims, so the tyres are 185/55-R15.
On the user manual of my 60 HP up snow chains are allowed only on 14 rims, on other version of the manual chains are allowed also on 15 rims.
165/70 R14 5 J x 14 ET 35
175/65 R14 5 J x 14 ET 35
185/55 R15 5 1/2J x 15 ET 41
185/50 R16 6 J x 16 ET 43

In the manual version (11/2018) I have only the first two tyres allowed with chains

165/70 R14 5 J x 14 ET 35
175/65 R14 5 J x 14 ET 35

What can i do?

Being in Italy by law I have to have winter (M+S) tyres or chains on board for the car to enter in most motorways.
The problem with proper winter tyres is if the winter is mild they wear fast. I have to go with all seasons ones.

I see 3 solutions.

1. Buy a 7 mm chain set designed for unchainable cars, and find why on my manual there are less choices. Due the strange oil recommendations they have written I have some suspect that is because this manual is valid also for GTI, that have lowered suspensions. I suspect that I'll never use them for years.
  2. Buy a set of all season tyres and mount them on the alloy rims and having a seasonal change with the summer tyres: but this could be a problem with alloy rims and the pressure sensor?
  3. Buy another set of tyres and steel rims to use in the winter without messing with the alloy rims. But it could be a problem with the pressure sensor?
What I prefer is the solution 1 and when the factory fitted tyres will wear, put once for all the all seasons ones.
Any experience?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Buy another set of tyres and steel rims to use in the winter without messing with the alloy rims. But it could be a problem with the pressure sensor?]
This is the right choice for me.
The pressure sensor (as far as I know) don't work by actually measuring pressure, but rather by monitoring rotational speed of the wheels using the ABS sensor.
I don't think you will have any problem with the pressure sensor.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Definitely do not use chains . As above, buy a set of winter wheels & tyres & keep your alloys in nice condition for the summer.
It will not affect the tyre pressure sensor in any way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good. I thik I'll go with winter rims, so I can also put narrower tyres, that are better in snow. To check the pressure I have a small air compresson, an I check the pressure often anyways.

I was thinking that there was an actual pressure sensor inside the rim transmitting pressure data on uhf.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts