Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Took the summer tyres and alloys off today, replaced them with winter steels and full winter tyres Continental Winter Contact TS860's, nice and grippy in sub 5deg rain

However, was annoyed to find that the rear alloys had rust welded to the hubs. Had to cold chisel them free. Usefully, VW had left raised access slots on the alloy mating face to allow you to so just that. Will remember to copper slip the mating faces when they back on over the Easter weekend, 2021

Has anybody else had this problem, not sure it will be as bad with the steels ?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mike, no, I copperslipped the hub mating face the first time I put the winter wheels on last year, and on the Mrs too when I fitted the Upsilon alloys to hers.
It doesn't take long for them to stick. I remember our first pair of High Up's. I swapped the wheels front to back on both cars after a year, and both were stuck, but a few blows with a rubber mallet on the tyre and they were off. Going to fit my winter wheels this week too.

Reactions: North London Mike

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, no, I copperslipped the hub mating face the first time I put the winter wheels on last year, and on the Mrs too when I fitted the Upsilon alloys to hers.
One step ahead of me, everyday is a school day and we learn from our mistakes. Interesting that VW anticipated the problem with the slots in the hub 🤨

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took the summer tyres and alloys off today, replaced them with winter steels and full winter tyres Continental Winter Contact TS860's, nice and grippy in sub 5deg rain
Do you have experience with other tires to compare with the TS860s, like Nokian for instance or something else? The Contis have a B rating on wet traction, whereas some of the cheaper have an A grade, and here the roads are mostly wet during the winter.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bulgdoom
Short answer, no ! Did the research and these (Conti TS860's) kept coming top of the tests. Auto Express winter test winner 2018 (and 2017 , 2016 TS850) when I bought them, the Nokian were 6th. It's a combination of factors, for instance it wasn't the best on snow ! However, things change, tyres improve, you can only go on the info you have at the time. Feel great, but it hasn't snowed since I bought them 🤦‍♂️🤣

Ps Bridgestone won 2020 as Conti delayed the launch of the TS870 due to C-19, Nokian came 9th. Good luck with your choices and remember, almost any winter tyre is better (in the winter) than a summer tyre !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone

However, was annoyed to find that the rear alloys had rust welded to the hubs. Had to cold chisel them free. Usefully, VW had left raised access slots on the alloy mating face to allow you to so just that. Will remember to copper slip the mating faces when they back on over the Easter weekend, 2021

Has anybody else had this problem, not sure it will be as bad with the steels ?
Hi, forgive my ignorance do you tell me that you people change tyres summer one's for winter one's that's a new one for me!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, forgive my ignorance do you tell me that you people change tyres summer one's for winter one's that's a new one for me!
It’s something that has only recently become common in winter in the uk but I believe has been common if not mandatory in parts of Europe for many years.
If you were to only fit one type of tyre it should be winter as the sacrifice in summer dry braking is worth it for the extra grip in winter vs a summer tyre. There is an argument that an all seasons tyre as a winter is best in the uk as they tend to do better in cool and wet conditions but are still much safer than summer tyres in snow and ice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Generally people don't change tyres, but do change wheels with different tyres on each set (far less work for few quid).

I guess in Australia you only need summer tyres, but in the UK, weather varies a lot - in the grim North, there is often ice and snow, and gritting of roads is often patchy/late/non-existent, so unless you live in town or somewhere non-hilly, winter tyres or all-season tyres are a good choice. Or chains etc.

Down here on the far SW Cornish coast, ice/snow is unusual, so I for one, won't be changing wheels, and will stick with stock tyres.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Up here in Bonnie Scotland it gets fairly cold in the winter. A few years back it got to minus 22, and not only were the roads buried under several feet of snow, the diesel froze (waxed) in both of our cars. We were stranded in our village for over a week. That was a fairly unique winter, but it regularly gets to minus 10 and colder where I am. I started fitting snow tyres to a spare set of wheels on all our families cars a good few years ago, and the difference in snow is quite something to experience. A couple of winters ago I was giving neighbours lifts as my car was only one able to get out of the village. So a big thumbs up from me for winter tyres, and if keeping your cars for about five years or more, or do a significant mileage, the wheels/tyres are not a significant expense as your are not having to buy new tyres as often.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I found that when I lived in Connecticut, my full-on Winter tyres on a front wheel drive car easily out-performed the all-season tyres on my 4WD Subaru in the harsh winters. Except for off-the-line acceleration on packed ice - which you really don't care too much about, as braking safely and not sliding off on a bend is a much better experience!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All season tyres are nether fish nor foul, better to have real summer and real winter tyres. Multiple road tests have arrived at the same results. A compromise is a compromise, it's your (and your families) life, you do the maths 😶

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Bulgdoom
Short answer, no ! Did the research and these (Conti TS860's) kept coming top of the tests. Auto Express winter test winner 2018 (and 2017 , 2016 TS850) when I bought them, the Nokian were 6th. It's a combination of factors, for instance it wasn't the best on snow ! However, things change, tyres improve, you can only go on the info you have at the time. Feel great, but it hasn't snowed since I bought them 🤦‍♂️🤣

Ps Bridgestone won 2020 as Conti delayed the launch of the TS870 due to C-19, Nokian came 9th. Good luck with your choices and remember, almost any winter tyre is better (in the winter) than a summer tyre !

View attachment 5848
I brought the hankooks for the gti and they are spot on to be fair. Put them on a set of 15” rims and the ‘just’ clear the calipers lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts