Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I'm going to be teaching my eldest son to drive this winter so was looking for winter tyres for the up....it gets a bit cold and slippery here.

well....Sorted....bought 4 new take-off steel rims and wheel trims on ebay for £30..YES £30 (lass down south had a take up! and bought a set of same-size alloys) and have just ordered 4 Vredestein Snowtrac 3's from Mytyres.co.uk for £182 for all 4 ....Sale of the century imho and my local tyre garage will fit and balance the lot for £30.

total cost £242 beat that ! and the lovely 16" alloys and tyres get to spend the nasty salty winter tucked up In my garage ready for spring

All I need now is the flipping car

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
And I thought I was organized buying lots of bits and pieces before getting my car!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow, nice one!

I bought a set of four steel 14 inch rims with Bridgestone Blizzak LM20 Winter tyres from mytyres.co.uk last year for I think £340. Plus you got wheel trims included!

By the way, are the outer circumferences the same on the 14 inch tyres (higher profile) as the 16 inch ones? Just wondering if the speedometer will over-read or not. You can check using an online circumference calculator such as:

http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

Edited by: Collas

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the maths , 6mm difference = 0.7 mph ( at 70mph) or 1.03% so negligible as far as I can see

Thanks for the link, really usefulEdited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks like MyTyres' business will be on the up! this winter - see my post in the Spare Wheel Rip-off section!

PS - No connection with MyTyres other than as a customer

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me too, always found them great to deal with

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sounds like I am due a pint the next time I am in the Commercial!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed, at least a pint!

More a stair inn sort of man!, almost walkableEdited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
228 Posts
Stair Inn even better. An up! meet.

To be honest, I have not been in the Commercial for 15 years!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And I spent 3 yrs in Aberdeen 87-90. Worked at ARI and in a practice in Rubislaw Terrace

·
Registered
421 Posts
logged in 2 minutes late and missed the wheels!

At least they went to someone on here!

·
Registered
619 Posts
It may be an odd question but are the wheel bolts, on (VW) cars with steel wheels, the same as those on cars with alloy wheels? If they are different, folks fitting winter tyres on steel wheels may have to factor in the cost of new bolts.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will check with dealer as need to keep safe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts