Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone with knowledge please put my mind at rest, I rushed around on Wednesday to get winter tyres fitted to my move up (standard 14" steel wheels ) and ended up with a brilliant in stock deal at costco on some Michelin alpin but i'm a little confused by all the talk of the sizes.

These tyres I got are the same size as the tyres I had on which is 175/65/14 82t but everyone else (including our friendly doncaster vw parts supplier / continental ts800 bargain seller ) seems to be talking about 165 / 70 / 14

I'm sure costco won't have sold me the wrong size and they said they should be the same size as the ones I have so why the difference ?

For the record if you check out my car on any of the online tyre places they all think I need 165 / 70 /14

Thanks

Si

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks to me like the BMT use a different tyre size which i guess is to improve fuel economy

We just bought a new E Class and opted for 19Inch wheels rather than 18 and that made a tax difference as it changed the emissions banding and reduced the MPG figures so I guess tyre size is important.

Well we have an inch or so outside now so looks like I'm going to get a chance to try them out :)

Thanks for the reassurance

Si

·
Registered
235 Posts
165/70/14 are the correct size for the up with 14" wheels - the 70 being the depth of the tyre - 70% of the width.
The tyres you have will work OK but they are a slightly lower profile (resulting in a lower rolling radius) and will reduce the gearing of your up! slightly - potentially making the speedo read a bit slow and/or slightly increasing fuel consumption.
However tyres from different manufacturers do vary slightly anyway, so it's nothing to worry about. To give you an idea, I have the same size winter tyres as the originals on my High up! (185/55/15), yet my weekly trip to Birmingham is now 3 miles further according to the milometer - about a 2% difference!

·
Registered
55 Posts
65% of 175 is not a lot different to 70% of 165 if my maths is correct. There will be minimal change to your speedo so don't worry about it.3.5% changeof rolling circumference is the maximum you can usually get away with according to most tyre size calculators on the web..

Edited by: windyup

·
Registered
583 Posts
BigladUK said:
These tyres I got are the same size as the tyres I had on which is 175/65/14 82t but everyone else (including our friendly doncaster vw parts supplier / continental ts800 bargain seller ) seems to be talking about 165 / 70 / 14
They are "a" right size of tyres for the up! - and the standard size tyres on the CNG up!

But the 175/65/14 won't work with the VW snow chains.
Seems they don't expect anyone to need snowchains on the EcoFuel CNG up!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys

These are the tyres I bought for anyone interested ( they are the regular CostCo price )

http://db.tt/2jWH0ka7

Have done about 600 miles over the past few days on the tyres and I'm massively impressed, it's like the road if just tarmac and not snow or ice....

Highly recommend

Si

1 - 9 of 9 Posts