Up Owners Club banner

Are you going to fit winter tyres ?

• Yes I have them ready.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I plan to buy some.

• I will wait to see if the UP needs them.

• Not thought about it.

• Never fit winter tyres

• Using tyre socks instead.

• Using snow chains instead.

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter tyres or not !Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
448 Posts
In my opinion the evidence that has been presented here is that Winter Tyres do work and are beneficial.Not just in snow, but colder and wetter conditions also.Thanks Guys for educating me!

Being retired now, I am in the position that I can choose to drive or not...so I will not be buying them....If I were still commuting though....a different story.Thanks Folks.

A point I have not seen mentioned is to reduce the Tyre pressures if it gets really slippery.We would do this back in the day..and I do remember it got me home a few times.

Go well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well put Night Owl. My opinion is the same and like you if I didn't have the choice to drive or not to drive I would consider winter tyres.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't feel it necessary to put them on the Up! Every small underpowered hatchback I've had in the past has never needed them and has been fine on whatever tyres its had. I'm by no means a driving god and would see no benefit from them but adapting my driving style to suit the weather has worked up to now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I applaud the sentiment of staying at home.BMW supply even better cars for staying at home with butI wish more people stayed at home.
Those people who are unable to overtake a tractor travelling at 25mph should stay at home.
Those people who cannot see at night while vehicles are coming towards them
and those people who blame their council for not gritting the piece of road they crashed on.

Sorry, rant over.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If I frequently travelled north of Watford, I'd probably feel it was worth the investment, as it is, living in sunny (?) Kent, I'm with Night Owl on this.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
gordoac said:
If I frequently travelled north of Watford, I'd probably feel it was worth the investment, as it is, living in sunny (?) Kent, I'm with Night Owl on this.
I think you are right. Apparently whilst you can use "summer" tyres in the winter it is not recommended that you use winter tyres in the summer. Winter tyres are for use at temperatures below 7 degrees so at the moment they would not be used.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I try not to travel north of Cambridge. I do go to Scotland a lot by air though. I wouldn't like to drive through the ghettos with my special wheels.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Try driving though my area of Hampshire...we will have your wheels off before you stop!
We are nice folks otherwise...will send you on your way with a nice set of Black Steels.

Sorry.... could not resist a flippant reply

Go well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I live in Germany. so for me I have to have them fitted.. as it is now mandatory from October to around March/April time to have your car prepared for winter driving conditions. I have them fitted to the car now... even through the weather here is still above 10 degrees. but that can change rapidly... The car feels just as capable on winter tyres in warmer temps as summer tyres... but in the warmer weather the noise is a little bit more. But as the temp drops they get quieter. Also Some insurance companies will not payout if you have an accident during this time without them fitted. and if you cause a road delays etc due to wrong tyres the police can fine you... so it is worth paying the extra over here... But we can get more snow and colder weather during the winter... but a lot of the time it is similar temps as the UK..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts