Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a bit early as:
  1. I don't have the car (and probably wont for another few months)
  2. It is still "summer"
But, I have ordered with the sports pack hence chunky(ish) wheels. Was considering for the winter getting hold of a smaller thinner set of steelies with winter tyres.

Anyone thinking of something similar and if so, what size do people think would be best (and would this muck anything up putting on smaller wheels)?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The 'standard' winter tyre pack for all Up's in Germeny are based on the 14" steel wheels with the Move up! tyre size - 165/70 x 14? They will be same rolling diameter as the High up! or up! Black/White.

You can get complete wheel/tyre packages for the up! from mytyres.co.uk based on this configuration from c.£75 per corner - depending on tyre brand (Vredstein seem to get good reviews on this forum). Looks like excellent value.

If you want bigger wheels, they do alloy options as complete packages too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you are going to buy,do so now when price is low and availability high.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Damp chimp, just noticed you are in Ayrshire too! Where abouts, I'm near ochiltree .

Try mytyres website , I got 4 vredrestein snowtrac 3 tyres for around 45 quid a tyre and found steel rims/covers on eBay from a take up owner who was upgrading to alloys

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, cheers, will check that out, good idea about getting them now. A wee set of 14" steelies will do the job I think and means if the worst comes to the worst and we do get heavy snow, you don't need to worry about hitting a kerb or pothole or whatever.

P.s. I am in Kilmarnock, so just down the road.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am in Mauchline at the mo. The East Ayrshire contingent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upmeister said:
The 'standard' winter tyre pack for all Up's in Germeny are based on the 14" steel wheels with the Move up! tyre size - 165/70 x 14? They will be same rolling diameter as the High up! or up! Black/White.

You can get complete wheel/tyre packages for the up! from mytyres.co.uk based on this configuration from c.£75 per corner - depending on tyre brand (Vredstein seem to get good reviews on this forum). Looks like excellent value.

Cool, may pick those up with a set of the Vredstein's, I find wee skinny tyres so much easier that "normal" size tyres in the winter.

Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know what the various T options are on that site i.e. that pack comes in with 81T, 82T, 85T, 86T, 89T and 90T e.g.<b style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; text-align: left; ">165/70 R14 85T[/b], what does the T stand for?

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Am heading up to Glasgow later today for a few 'messages'. (love that word) honk if you see me. Just hd waxed it so shiny shiny shiny!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Privatedoc said:
Am heading up to Glasgow later today for a few 'messages'. (love that word) honk if you see me. Just hd waxed it so shiny shiny shiny!

Will do.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a set of MINI 15" alloys with hankook winters. In trying to find out if they would fit the up! Before I sell them. The chap I bought them off had them on a older vw golf.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Agree with getting Winter tyres. I have used them for the past 4 years on all of my cars and they really are amazing.

REMEMBER! They are not just for snow. They are for all road conditions (dry, wet, snow, etc.) where the temperature is below +7 Celcius. Yes, PLUS 7 degrees is the point at which Summer tyres harden to the consistency of Bakelite. Winter tyres are made of a very soft compound, which stays soft well down to around minus 18 degrees. They also have a more compliant carcass construction, different shape (and deeper) tread, and clever little cuts (sipes), which allow them to deform to the road surface and warm up through being squished around. You can literally dig a thumbnail into them and move the rubber around. For these reasons they will save your life all Winter long, in situations like on a cold day when that person pulls out of a side street in front of you, whether the road is dry or wet.

They wear out quite quickly in Summer if you leave them on and do regular trips outside of town and/or high yearly mileages. I have a friend who doesn't have any Summer tyres at all, though she only does 7000 miles a year.

Like Upmeister and Privatedoc say above, try mytyres.co.uk for ready made up wheel-sets, with tyres pre-fitted on steel rims, balanced, etc. I have a set from them with Brisdgestone Blizzak LM20 tyres. I read all the test results from Germany before choosing them. As others have said, the Dutch tyre Vredestein is also very good, as are Michelins. I would avoid lesser known brands from China

Edited by: move up!

·
Registered
619 Posts
dampchimp said:
Upmeister said:

Cool, may pick those up with a set of the Vredstein's, I find wee skinny tyres so much easier that "normal" size tyres in the winter.

Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know what the various T options are on that site i.e. that pack comes in with 81T, 82T, 85T, 86T, 89T and 90T e.g.<B style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss; FONT-SIZE: 13px">165/70 R14 85T[/B], what does the T stand for?

dampchimp: The T marking on a tyre denotes the speed rating i.e. the maximum speed the tyre can handle. The number before this is the load rating and denotes the actual weight the the tyre can support.

85T means the tyre can support a weight of 515kg and a maximum speed of 118mph.

Incidentally, if you are looking for steel wheels, Ingrams of Ayr can supply them for £40.36 inc VAT.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Winter tyres are not the same compound as snow tyres. Maybe the member who works for Continental can explain further.

·
Registered
432 Posts
As far as I know (happy to hear otherwise) the terms Winter tyres and snow tyres are used interchangeably. You can of course get studded tyres, which would obviously only work on snow (and damage the asphalt if there was no snow).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_tires

Snow tires (winter tires) are tires designed for use in winter conditions, such as snow and ice<sup id="cite_ref-0" ="reference">[1]</sup>, and lower temperatures in general. They are an alternative to the use of snow chains.

Snow tires are usually tires with a different rubber composition from
all-weather tires. They include a greater percentage of
natural rubber and silica so there is not as much hardening as found in
synthetic rubber in cold conditions. They provide better traction at lower temperatures. Snow tires provide more small-tread areas, increasing traction on snow and, in wet conditions, allowing water to escape from under the tire more easily. This reduces the risk of hydroplaning.
In much of Scandinavia, snow tires have metal studs to improve grip on
packed snow or ice, but such tires are prohibited in most other
countries because of the damage they cause to the road surface. Snow tires do not eliminate skidding on ice and snow, but they greatly reduce the risk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
luckyjimmy said:
dampchimp: The T marking on a tyre denotes the speed rating i.e. the maximum speed the tyre can handle. The number before this is the load rating and denotes the actual weight the the tyre can support.

85T means the tyre can support a weight of 515kg and a maximum speed of 118mph.

Incidentally, if you are looking for steel wheels, Ingrams of Ayr can supply them for £40.36 inc VAT.
Cheers, that's useful to know. Is that each or for 4?

·
Registered
235 Posts
That'll be each - the wheels work out at about £25 each from mytyres - you'll be able to work it out on their website.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
eBay remains your best hope for cheap ones, I got lucky and got 4 steels and 4 full size trims for £30
Just gotta keep an eye out for them

·
Registered
235 Posts
I suspect you didn't have much competition, PrivateDoc. Half this forum will be bidding for any that come upon eBay now!!!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
They were collect only and in Devon but I made her an offer she couldn't refuse! Of course I now need a second set for the second up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts