1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Just google them, black circles or my tyres or something

·
Registered
12 Posts
It might be worth checking the price of steel wheels at your local dealer, £26 rings a bell, so much better to introduce to a curb/hidden pothole than your 16's.

Theory...
Thinner tyres are better in snow/slush + they are cheaper to buy and easier to store in the warmer months.

There is a very limited choice of winter tyres in 185/60-16, masses of choice in 165/70-14.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
just get a set of steels and winters, cheaper all round and saves your alloys from the ravages of salt etc....we have 2 sets , a set for each car and the up was unstoppable last winter in the ice/snow.......14" steels with vredestein snowtrac 3 tyres.

By unstoppable I DIDN'T MEAN THE BRAKES. !
Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
115 Posts
Try the following website:http://www.reifen.com/en/Branche
These are out in Germany, but they ship to the UK.
You can buy complete wheel and try sets, both Alloy and Steel rims with Winters tyres.

Living out in Germany, i ordered my up with a set of factory winter wheels and tyres... Which are 5J x 14 Steels, with 165/70 R14 T winter tyres.

Shipping costs are very reasonable, i looked on this website and was about 20 Euros.

Would say get a decent set of rubber... Continental or Michelin tyres came out very will the ADAC winter tyre tests. set of steels, with Conti WinterContact TS850 plus bolts and shipping came out at 443.00 euros.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just called my local VW dealer and was quoted £56 each for a 14" steel wheel for my Up!! Anybody know where I can find them cheaper?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cheers - which tyres (I presume they are winter tyres) did you choose and would you recommend them?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I got a set of steelies off ebay, refurbed myself (re painted) and got a set of winter tyres off my tyres! Steelies cost £30 for 4, 4 x winter tyres £144 delivered and a garage £50 to take old tyres off re fit newens and balance em and dispose of old tyres and paint around £20

·
Registered
3 Posts
Supermegamonkee beat me to it.I have just been looking at the options for winter tyres and steelies and Mytyres.co.uk 4 steelies and conti wintercontact ts 800£368.

so it looks like I am going there

Ketchup!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had the Bridgestone lm20 they were superb in the snow this year. My old mini had hankooks, they were pretty good too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
On my previous car i had Avon Ice Touring, drove from Germany to UK in thick snow, not a problem.Currently i have Michelin Alpen A3 winters on my Passat. but they are worn out... but my up comes in November, so they will last... lol.
No idea what the VW tyres are... i ordered set of winter wheels and tyres with the car.
get the option to add winter wheels and tyres here in Germany.
Check out Auto Expresses Winter tyre tests:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/60709/best-winter-tyres
ADAC also do tests but its all in German lol... so didn't both posting the link.

·
Registered
583 Posts
PeterGarry said:
Does anyone know when winter tyres will be available for the UP Black 185/60 R16?
Wheelmachine.de lists this one as the ONLY winter tyre in that size :

PIRELLI W190 SNOWCONTROL 3 T 81 B - B - B - B 102,62 EUR

You'd be better of with the regular size 175/65/14 or 185/60/14 - lots more choice and lots cheaper.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
So total cost of refurb plus tyres was £244. Looking at mytyres I can get a new set of steelies plus winter tyres for £290 (tyres being about £145 of that) delivered and balanced. Been looking on ebay for some time now and haven't seen a set of steelies at a reasonable price yet, so may just order from mytyres. Thanks for all help and comments.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I normally buy part worns in summer. Normally they have a small amount of use but are half the price of new cause who wants winter tyres in summer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts