Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked before, but where we live in the Peak District we could really use some winter wheels/tyres and l wonder if there are any from VW that will fit the Up GTi.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've thought about the same as diamond cut finishes and winter don't mix well at all for starters. I wouldn't want the car to look awful on winter wheels so I may pick up a set of new or cheapish 16" alloys, shed with 195 45 16 winter tyres they would be close enough to the original diameter (582mm vs 587mm).

·
Registered
419 Posts
What you really need is 185/ 55/15 tyres with a suitable wheel. I believe the VWCorado g60 wheels will fit the Up gti.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Is there a winter tyre that fits the standard wheel? Wouldn't mind investing in some now while they're less expensive.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Is there a winter tyre that fits the standard wheel? Wouldn't mind investing in some now while they're less expensive.
Might be worth looking into, i still have the crappy standard wheels kicking about.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Up would appear to have a "tyre pressure loss" warning system. Does this require sensors in the wheels? or does it just work by measuring the rotational speed? Those of you who have changed wheels may know.

The German VW web configurator suggests these as winter wheels (remember they are mandatory in Germany)

https://shops.volkswagen.com/en_GB/web/zubehoer/p/leichtmetallfelge-merano-5j-x-15-brillantsilber-1s0071495a-8z8-14?category=4315:904_VWZ_OZ:Category

There is a decent choice of winter and all season tyres in 185/55 x 15 to fit these.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The Up would appear to have a "tyre pressure loss" warning system. Does this require sensors in the wheels? or does it just work by measuring the rotational speed? Those of you who have changed wheels may know.

The German VW web configurator suggests these as winter wheels (remember they are mandatory in Germany)

https://shops.volkswagen.com/en_GB/web/zubehoer/p/leichtmetallfelge-merano-5j-x-15-brillantsilber-1s0071495a-8z8-14?category=4315:904_VWZ_OZ:Category

There is a decent choice of winter and all season tyres in 185/55 x 15 to fit these.
Just rotational sensing.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Yes, it is a passive system, so no expensive sensors in the wheels.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There’s very little choice in 195/45/17 .
185/55/15 choice is vast. You’ll also benefit from a lovely ride from the smaller wheel/ tyre.
185/55/15 will give you almost the the exact same rolling circumferance as the std wheels.
Both you and me will probably go staight onto winters when our cars arrive lol!

·
Registered
153 Posts
That is what I have for mine.

Vw Sebrings powdercoated black with new 185 55 15 tyres

have you tried your 15" wheels yet, i tried my wheels but they scuff the caliper:crying:

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's the plan mate! To be honest, I quite like the idea of just sticking it on regular black steel wheels.
I’m still running steel winters on my scrapage deal car ( despite the heat wave) right now and they’re bomb proof compared to fancy diamond cut wheels so ideal for rough winter use. They’re also cheap to buy.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I will be going 185 55 r15 for winter

Having had a trip over the Surrey Hills to the Members Meeting this year it proved what you could do with winter tyres

Only issue with winters is those without

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's not good. So can we assume that not all 15" wheels will fit?
These wont fit, also would need spacers to clear the caliper

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 388 Posts