Up Owners Club banner

341 - 360 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Picked up a set of official VW 15" winter wheels (1SO-071-495-A-8Z8) for the little chariot this morning. And just ordered a set of tyres (185/55 R15 XL 86H) to fit. Got a learner driver in the family. So, it might be wise to swap the wheels over before he's allowed to drive it!
Sorry to bother, another question if I may please?! Did they come with centre caps? And wheel bolts (or do you just use the ones from your Oswalds)? And does that set of rather nice looking "tyre bags" shown in your picture come with them too, or was that a separate purchase?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I presume that’s for the ride comfort?

We thought the 17s were the best looking thing about the GTI! Really filled the arches and lifted it above all other Ups.

Was worth a harder ride just for the look.

A GTI on 15s just does not look like a GTI.

Needs must in the winter, but my wife couldn’t wait until April to put the 17s back on!

Not everyone is so obsessed about rim diameter, and tales of folk damaging wheels and tyres does little to sway my opinion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to bother, another question if I may please?! Did they come with centre caps? And wheel bolts (or do you just use the ones from your Oswalds)? And does that set of rather nice looking "tyre bags" shown in your picture come with them too, or was that a separate purchase?
Centre caps included. No bolts provided - I'm assuming the ones from the Oswald wheels will fit. And tyre bags (000-073-900-E) were a separate purchase.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nope....would you buy an RS3 and run it on 16s all year?

Would you buy a Bentley GT and run it in 17s all year?

No you wouldnt. A GTI on 15s just isnt a GTI.....apart from the blackinsert on the front bumper, it would look like an up beats.

·
Registered
292 Posts

No you wouldnt. A GTI on 15s just isnt a GTI.....apart from the blackinsert on the front bumper, it would look like an up beats.
I can't even imagine being bothered to change wheels throughout the course of a year, but maybe that's because I'm garageless city folk.

I'm pretty sure it's still a GTI though.. badges, seats, engine, trim etc.
Likewise, those stock wheels for the Golf R are so ugly, in my eyes it'd be _more_ of an R if you swapped them for something else.

Anyway, maybe John, our friend in the north, is going for the German-tuner-in-the-winter look...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Likewise, those stock wheels for the Golf R are so ugly, in my eyes it'd be _more_ of an R if you swapped them for something else.
At least the stock Golf R alloys are exclusive to that car, likewise the Parker wheels on the Golf GTI. VW share the Pretoria wheels across a few different models, and Audi are terrible for offering every wheel design they do on every variant of car.

I used to run a winter wheel set up on my Golf GTI and on a few occasions I left swapping to regular rubber late into the summer. The car was almost more fun because it used to move around a lot more on the deep treaded blocks of the winter tyres.

·
Registered
7 Posts
An UP! GTi on 15" wheels with 195/50R15 tyres (I know it's not a recomended dimension) feels like a Fiesta ST on corners turn in (which is a much better handling car, and my other car too)
That's why I changed the 17" with the miserable goodyear efficient grip (?) 40% profile tyres.
I may also mention that the 0-100 is now 8,5 sec and the 80-120 on 3rd gear is now 5,5 sec.
The braking distance droped in such a degree (due to better tyres of course) that you feel amazed finding out how late you can be on corner braking.
In addition my back doesn't hurt anymore... due to a much comfortable ride.
When you buy a performance car, you have to be able to have fun all the time, on all road surfaces.
And the best tyres for this have 50% profile... The 17" wheels are fitted only because that is the trendy look of this era.
Next step improvement is fitting B12 bilstein KIT for UP!. It would lower the car 4mm which is almost the diffenece in radius between 195/40R17 and 195/50R15.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #355

I guess you do have a point. I looked at ours today and aside from the less precise handling it wouldn’t look the same on regular Up wheels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tyres on and wheels fitted - now got an L GTI

Picked up a set of official VW 15" winter wheels (1SO-071-495-A-8Z8) for the little chariot this morning. And just ordered a set of tyres (185/55 R15 XL 86H) to fit. Got a learner driver in the family. So, it might be wise to swap the wheels over before he's allowed to drive it!

Tyres fitted to the 15" VW rims and now on the little red chariot. Bolts from Oswald wheels fit fine and got some plastic wheel nut covers to keep them clean. L plates on. But a tad apprehensive at letting the man-child take the driver's seat!

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like those sidewalls.
This diamond cut faces on wheels is such a fashion lately.
Looking forward to the 15s once summer's over

·
Registered
412 Posts
Your not a gti looks great. Love the reg. number too !

341 - 360 of 387 Posts