Up Owners Club banner

381 - 387 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got mine today.I had some problems with clearance,so i had to use 5mm spacers.
It's 165/65 x15.
I'm happy with it.
It's not that small as I thought it would be :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Any 4x100 wheels will do, but if you own the Gti, some of the 15in wheels have cleatrence issues with the larger discs upfront.
If there's anyone living close to Llandudno or North Wales, theres a free set of 15in Fox alloys up for grabs.
They used to be on our Vw Lupo, and a Polo, but currently i am swimming in alloy wheels, so anyone after a set of free alloys, their welcome to collect them.

Their in mint condition, and have not been on any car for the last 16yrs, their just taking up space, and i want to move them on.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree, but that 4x110mm VW bolt diameter is vital.
Theres no point in looking at all those gorgeous 5stud Volkswagen alloys, as their not going to fit a Vw Up.
Like a lot of earlier Vw cars, in both the Lupo and Polo range, 4x100mm thread pattern are now becoming less common.

I searched high and low for a really nice alternative to my boring Ronal Gti alloys, and there are not that many 17in 4x100 alloys that wil fit the Up.
The latest Polo and Golf have now gone over to a 5stud wheel.

The Gti alloys are now being driven around on a 2001 Lupo 1 litre SE in South Wales, and i am glad to see the back of them.
Diamond polished, and certainly do nothing for the looks of the lovely Up.

I ended up buying the OZ Rally Racing wheels, simply because they look stunning on an all White Up Gti, and are a known quantity with correct fitment for the car.

I never bothered checking the centre bore or offset for these Fox 15in alloys.
I did a search for a set of five 15in Vw 4x100 wheels for a Vw Lupo, and hey presto, these Fox alloys were being offered at a wheel and tyre package.

In all the years ive owned them, they have been on three separate Vws, and ive had no fitting issues,

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I agree, but that 4x110mm VW bolt diameter is vital.
4x100.

"Any 4x100 wheels will do". Surely not true! Centre bore and offset are the equally important numbers to look for.
Equally as important, along with width. Try fitting a 17x9 et0 wheel to an UP and you'll have issues unless you like doing bodywork. Fit a 17x7 et35 and you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
477 Posts
4x100.

Equally as important, along with width. Try fitting a 17x9 et0 wheel to an UP and you'll have issues unless you like doing bodywork. Fit a 17x7 et35 and you'll have no problems.
Yes, very true. I forgot to mention that. Should have remembered as I am presently looking for a set of wheels for my daughters Mitsubishi Mirage, and finding it almost impossible to find 5" x 15" wheels or 4.5" x 14" wheels. They are all at least 6" width wheels for sale, and 165 or 175 width tyres would never safely fit them, and the offset would be well out of tolerance as well.
Amazes me the number of people advertising alloy wheels on FB and Gumtree. Listed as 15" wheels, when you contact them asking for PCD, ET centre bore, etc, they have no clue what you are talking about, and try to assure you that they will fit any car. WTF!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've jut put on some off brand 15" rally rims, with Continental Wintercontact 860TS 195/55. I think it suits the car very well, and the tyres seem quite grippy. There's a lot more sidewall flex than with the factory 17" rims/tyres which is clearly felt with quick stearing inputs...

381 - 387 of 387 Posts