Up Owners Club banner

401 - 420 of 436 Posts

·
Banned
645 Posts
No flooding, just Conwy councils desire to throw so much road salt on the roads, that it's causing visible damage to the local roads.

Come November, no matter how mild the weather, the salt gritters are out, and salt and lovely Up Gtis do not mix.

By the looks of your very nice little Gti, looking resplendent with its white Leggendas, its your pride and joy as well.

I know polishing black paintwork takes dedication, so brownie points a plenty, a real credit to this forum.

Thankfully I have my Move Up, and even though I love the car, it plays second best to the Gti, so must endure corrosive road salt.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Nah, that’s not my car. Mine is red, although it’s not been washed for several months and lives beneath a layer of dirt, grime and salt. Gets driven though ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nah, that’s not my car. Mine is red, although it’s not been washed for several months and lives beneath a layer of dirt, grime and salt. Gets driven though ;)
I'm the same, 15k a year and don't wash my car from the end of October to March as the layer of dirt protects the car as much as it needs protected from salt unless you are keeping it for 30 years which probably none of us will, I also have all-season tyres on mine which perform good enough during our summer and are great in heavy rain and easily deal with snow up to a certain depth meaning I can keep the original alloys on my car and not have the extra set of wheels and tyres to store.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm the same, 15k a year and don't wash my car from the end of October to March as the layer of dirt protects the car as much as it needs protected from salt unless you are keeping it for 30 years which probably none of us will, I also have all-season tyres on mine which perform good enough during our summer and are great in heavy rain and easily deal with snow up to a certain depth meaning I can keep the original alloys on my car and not have the extra set of wheels and tyres to store.
Yeah, me too, drive it in all weathers, but I do admit to running a pressure washer over it through Dec-Feb. I also slapped a load of Dodo Juice Future Armour on it in Nov. I'm on 12,000 miles now.

What all season tyres do you have?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, me too, drive it in all weathers, but I do admit to running a pressure washer over it through Dec-Feb. I also slapped a load of Dodo Juice Future Armour on it in Nov. I'm on 12,000 miles now.

What all season tyres do you have?
In 30+ years of driving the only thing I've found to get through a layer of grime is a hand wash, pressure washer or a crash so I let the grime do the protecting. As I say if you're keeping the car a number of decades then maybe you will see the difference of protective products much the same as higher quality (more expensive) fuel will maybe show its worth after 100k+ miles has been put on your car but most if not all will not keep their cars long enough to find out.

I would like to forego the grime protection and give it a regular clean but driving 55 miles per day it would be just as dirty after 10 minutes in this weather so I save myself the stress and anger and don't bother.

There are a few all season tyres but I've put on Maxxis AP2 All Season 205/40 R17 at £50 a corner delivered from amazon, the price goes up and down but I just waited until the nice weather when they went down cheap. I wouldn't go around a track with them but they are more than good enough for what I need.

·
Registered
257 Posts
In 30+ years of driving the only thing I've found to get through a layer of grime is a hand wash, pressure washer or a crash so I let the grime do the protecting. As I say if you're keeping the car a number of decades then maybe you will see the difference of protective products much the same as higher quality (more expensive) fuel will maybe show its worth after 100k+ miles has been put on your car but most if not all will not keep their cars long enough to find out.

I would like to forego the grime protection and give it a regular clean but driving 55 miles per day it would be just as dirty after 10 minutes in this weather so I save myself the stress and anger and don't bother.

There are a few all season tyres but I've put on Maxxis AP2 All Season 205/40 R17 at £50 a corner delivered from amazon, the price goes up and down but I just waited until the nice weather when they went down cheap. I wouldn't go around a track with them but they are more than good enough for what I need.
thanks,

might get a pair of them and wear them until March.

·
Registered
324 Posts
thanks,

might get a pair of them and wear them until March.
I only use a pair finding two all season and two summer tyres perfectly good enough all year, keeping summer tyres on the front in summer then rotating around the all seasons in the winter, saves storing tyres and paying for them to get swapped twice a year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I only use a pair finding two all season and two summer tyres perfectly good enough all year, keeping summer tyres on the front in summer then rotating around the all seasons in the winter, saves storing tyres and paying for them to get swapped twice a year.
Did I understand it right that in winter you use summer tyres on the rear and and all-seasons on the front?
If so that's pretty dangerous as you will loose traction on the rear first. That will get you into trouble.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Did I understand it right that in winter you use summer tyres on the rear and and all-seasons on the front?
If so that's pretty dangerous as you will loose traction on the rear first. That will get you into trouble.
I've been doing this for a number of years and managed to survive, 90+ % of drivers in the UK use summer tyres all year round so already I'm half better off than them then add in its front wheel drive with all season tyres on the front and my set up is more than good enough for me as It depends on how you drive in poor conditions and how bad our poor conditions are compared to you in Germany, in towns and cities in winter we basically get colder rain/sleet with occasional snow that's usually gone in a day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fair enough. Of course you gain over all traction in poor conditions when using the better tires on the driven axle. But there is a reason why experienced tire fitters strongly suggest to put the better tires on the rear.

All the years I did it like you and fitted the better/newer tires to the front. Then I learned it the hard way that this isn't ideal. While slowly driving a downhill passage through a tight bend the rear of my trusty Golf 4 suddenly lost all the grip. Slowly but unstoppable I circled off the road. The road was wet and slippery but no ice or snow. The Golf had no ESP. The winter tires on the rear were the old ones with much less grip than the fresh front rubber.

So fitting the grippier tires to the front might turn your notoriously undesteering front wheel driven car into a tail happy oversteering one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fair enough. Of course you gain over all traction in poor conditions when using the better tires on the driven axle. But there is a reason why experienced tire fitters strongly suggest to put the better tires on the rear.

All the years I did it like you and fitted the better/newer tires to the front. Then I learned it the hard way that this isn't ideal. While slowly driving a downhill passage through a tight bend the rear of my trusty Golf 4 suddenly lost all the grip. Slowly but unstoppable I circled off the road. The road was wet and slippery but no ice or snow. The Golf had no ESP. The winter tires on the rear were the old ones with much less grip than the fresh front rubber.

So fitting the grippier tires to the front might turn your notoriously undesteering front wheel driven car into a tail happy oversteering one.
Don't bite my head off but are you mixing up winter tyres with all season tyres? a lot of tyre sites wrongly called winter tyres all season tyres but genuine all season tyres have only been around a few years when Michelin invented the cross climate and now we have the obligatory cheaper rip offs hitting the market like my Maxxis. As I say in towns and cities in the UK our winters are very mild compared to your part of the continent and again as I say I am in a far better position than 90+ of other drivers who use summer tyres all year round. I'm a Merc man and if all season tyres were on the marked I would have done as you suggest and put them on each corner due to being rear wheel drive and front wheel steering but I had to make do swapping over a set of winter/summer tyres twice per year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It does not depend on the type of the tyre. It happened to me while using two pairs of winter tyres. It's just about introducing different levels of grip at the rear and the front. By relatively reducing the rear grip (or increasing the front grip) you change the balance of your car towards oversteer.
If you are running into some sort of iced road which axle would you prefer to loose first?

The better tyres on the front may keep you driving in winterly conditions while you would be stranded otherwise, I understand that. But you upset the balance of your car. My advice would be either to stay on summer tyres all round or to fit the all season tyres to the rear or to buy four of them.

Sorry for the 'lecturing talk'. No offense intended, I just want to warn you about the risks.
Klaus

·
Registered
324 Posts
It does not depend on the type of the tyre. It happened to me while using two pairs of winter tyres. It's just about introducing different levels of grip at the rear and the front. By relatively reducing the rear grip (or increasing the front grip) you change the balance of your car towards oversteer.
If you are running into some sort of iced road which axle would you prefer to loose first?

The better tyres on the front may keep you driving in winterly conditions while you would be stranded otherwise, I understand that. But you upset the balance of your car. My advice would be either to stay on summer tyres all round or to fit the all season tyres to the rear or to buy four of them.

Sorry for the 'lecturing talk'. No offense intended, I just want to warn you about the risks.
Klaus
No offence taken, I can obviously see the logic of your advice to fit all season to all four tyres and when my summer tyres are done that's what I do but in the meantime I'm happy with my tyre set up and I also begrudge discarding four perfectly good tyres.
We will have to agree to disagree with your advice of moving the all seasons to the back and summers to the front in winter or having four summer tyres in the winter rather than my current set up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got my winter wheels and tyres sorted. Used passat/G60 wheels refinished in satin black. Tyres are Continental AllSeasonContact 185/55 R15. I have done 100 miles in very wet conditions and they feel a lot better than the standard tyres. The ride is so much better now. I really wish the roads were in better condition but there you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
My Gti with TSi standard wheels fitted with 185 x 55 x 15" tyres, as winter wheels. The wheels did JUST clear the calipers, but only by a few thou, so I had some spacers made from 1.6mm aluminium, and they're fine now.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've only just got the car so I'll seal the wheels and keep them on for the rest of this season but I'll be looking out for a winter wheel for next year. No idea what yet.

Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes they do, no mods required. Only thing I'll say, is they look great, but they're hard to clean.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
please be a wear that the casting on the caliber holder is rough and may touch on some cars and not on others, my wheels touched but one guy here showed those wheels fit no problem ,i grinded some og the bracket off
regards
Sören

401 - 420 of 436 Posts