Up Owners Club banner

421 - 436 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can someone please explain the purpose of “Winter Wheels” ?

I am of the understanding that the wheels my Up! GTI was supplied with are suitable for use all year round.

Several years ago, my company car was a VW Passat Sport and had wheels finished using the same procedure as those on the Up! GTI (CNC ground and then polished before being lacquered).

Having driven the car for four years and almost 200K miles and through all conceivable weather conditions, the wheels were as good as new when I handed it back.

What is it in particular about the Up! GTI that leads some to believe that they must change their wheels for the winter season ?

Of course as anyone with an understanding of manufacturing knows, diamond tooling is commonplace when processing most materials such as stone, glass and most metals, but perhaps it’s the use of the marketing phrase “Diamond Cut” that leads some of the less well informed to believe that the standard wheels are too precious to be driven through snow, grit and ice ?

I’m not intending in any way to cast aspersions on those who do choose to fit different wheels to their Up! GTI for the winter season, but I am rather curious as to their motives as it does seem to be a particularly hot topic, and whilst I appreciate that aesthetics are subjective, I’ve yet to see any pictures of a forum members Up! GTI shod with ”winter wheels” which don’t appear to completely spoil the whole look and purpose of the car.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I am of the understanding that the wheels my Up! GTI was supplied with are suitable for use all year round.

Several years ago, my company car was a VW Passat Sport and had wheels finished using the same procedure as those on the Up! GTI (CNC ground and then polished before being lacquered).

Having driven the car for four years and almost 200K miles and through all conceivable weather conditions, the wheels were as good as new when I handed it back.

What is it in particular about the Up! GTI that leads some to believe that they must change their wheels for the winter season ?

Of course as anyone with an understanding of manufacturing knows, diamond tooling is commonplace when processing most materials such as stone, glass and most metals, but perhaps it’s the use of the marketing phrase “Diamond Cut” that leads some of the less well informed to believe that the standard wheels are too precious to be driven through snow, grit and ice ?

I’m not intending in any way to cast aspersions on those who do choose to fit different wheels to their Up! GTI for the winter season, but I am rather curious as to their motives as it does seem to be a particularly hot topic, and whilst I appreciate that aesthetics are subjective, I’ve yet to see any pictures of a forum members Up! GTI shod with ”winter wheels” which don’t appear to completely spoil the whole look and purpose of the car.
Most serious motorists are less interested in the style of the winter wheel and more interested in the purpose.

Fitting a smaller wheel, with larger profile winter tyre for use in the worst of the weather then a more dry focused summer tyre the rest of the year

·
Registered
53 Posts

Most serious motorists are less interested in the style of the winter wheel and more interested in the purpose.

Fitting a smaller wheel, with larger profile winter tyre for use in the worst of the weather then a more dry focused summer tyre the rest of the year

·
Registered
45 Posts
Winter wheels are a colloquial term for somewhere to keep/use winter tyres.
Winter tyres work best with a higher profile and thinner width than a summer tyre.
If your winter motoring allows you to travel on summer tyres then there may be little need for winter wheels.

It makes a huge difference to me (Cotswolds and now Scottish Highlands) to be able to travel in all weathers :)
I also rather like the look of a car on steels. So a winter win-win for me :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Contrary to the post above by Jacara, my experience of diamond cut wheels is less positive.
On my last High Up (equipped with the "Triangle" alloys), they were ok up to two years old. Half way through the third year, they began to deteriorate, and get those tell tale signs of water creep under the laquer. This was a set of wheels that had never been kerbed, and looked great for the first two years, but, despite me religiously washing the car every week, and sometimes twice a week, it was black), they succumbed.
That's my sole reason for not subjecting my Gti alloys to the winter and the salt.
I am one of us who really likes the style of wheel on the GTi, and want them to look as good after three years, as they do after 6 months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
similar to the above post, I've had a bad experience with Diamond cut wheels in the past, twice.

Both sets (merc and vauxhall) corroded under the laquer (blown white) after about 2 years. Protecting them from salt/grit would help prolong their life, also giving them a really good wash with fallout remover and sealing them once off the car would help.

Gives you a chance to inspect them, and even s gentle rub down and add some extra Laquer over the winter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The whole rationale for "winter wheels" as I understand it, is winter tyres. I used to live in Canada, and it was usual for cars to have 2 sets of wheels, one of which was shod with proper winter tyres, to deal with the ice and snow for up to 8 months of the year. Winter tyres are designed for temperatures consistently below 7C, and they wear out disproportionately compared to summer tyres above this temperature, so unless you live in the Highlands of Scotland I can see no justification for using them, or "winter wheels", here.

·
Registered
515 Posts
We all have our reasons for doing / not doing something, it's just personal tastes and requirements / aspirations.
The rationale can be anything you like.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Winter tyres are like insurance policies, you don't need them..................UNTIL YOU NEED THEM :confused:
Local forecast next 5 days, temp lows of 6/5/3/4/6 and raining 3 days out of 5, so I'll stay with my winter tyres and my peace of mind. Very happy if I don't need them

·
Registered
321 Posts
Winter tyres are like insurance policies, you don't need them..................UNTIL YOU NEED THEM :confused:
Local forecast next 5 days, temp lows of 6/5/3/4/6 and raining 3 days out of 5, so I'll stay with my winter tyres and my peace of mind. Very happy if I don't need them
Wow I generally scoff at winter wheels anywhere south of Perth but with that sort of weather you'd better get a half-track.

·
Registered
321 Posts
similar to the above post, I've had a bad experience with Diamond cut wheels in the past, twice.

Both sets (merc and vauxhall) corroded under the laquer (blown white) after about 2 years. Protecting them from salt/grit would help prolong their life, also giving them a really good wash with fallout remover and sealing them once off the car would help.

Gives you a chance to inspect them, and even s gentle rub down and add some extra Laquer over the winter.
I'm a Merc man and they have to have the worst alloys around, I'm sure they come out the factory with the lacquer already flaking off.
As I've said after two winters doing 15k per annum my GTI alloys are as good as new.

·
Registered
599 Posts
This option looks like potholes would be less of an issue. Is it possible to opt for any 15 inch alloy of spacers are added? I know very little about this sort of thing. Thanks.

Got mine today.I had some problems with clearance,so i had to use 5mm spacers.
It's 165/65 x15.
I'm happy with it.
It's not that small as I thought it would be :) View attachment 4421

·
Registered
515 Posts
No, you need to take the offset of the wheel into consideration, they should be as close as you can get to the original wheel's offset (39mm), but then you have to worry about the size of the GTi's front calipers. If you can get a wheel close to the Gti's 39mm offset, then it's just a case of fitting a spacer. (Would recommend as small a spacer as you can, to clear the caliper, that way you won't put extra load on your front wheel bearings.
For instance, I used my wife's 15" standard Tsi alloys, and they only just cleared the caliper, (by a few thou), . I had some spacers made from 1.6mm aluminium sheet.
No problem on the rear as they're small drums.

·
Registered
599 Posts
No, you need to take the offset of the wheel into consideration, they should be as close as you can get to the original wheel's offset (39mm), but then you have to worry about the size of the GTi's front calipers. If you can get a wheel close to the Gti's 39mm offset, then it's just a case of fitting a spacer. (Would recommend as small a spacer as you can, to clear the caliper, that way you won't put extra load on your front wheel bearings.
For instance, I used my wife's 15" standard Tsi alloys, and they only just cleared the caliper, (by a few thou), . I had some spacers made from 1.6mm aluminium sheet.
No problem on the rear as they're small drums.
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They fit straight on no issues.

They come with spigot rings as the centre bore is slightly larger than vw up.

I am pleased with them.

Barney

421 - 436 of 436 Posts