Up Owners Club banner
441 - 460 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
For the record, my car is now 2 and half years old with 14500 miles on the clock, and I have found the all season tyres and 15" wheels perfectly satisfactory for permanent use, so much so that I never yet fitted the original 17"s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A bit more Googling shows that the 4 stud 15" Merano wheels are still listed on the German VW configurator as an option for winter wheels. Below is a screenshot from the German site. These wheels were never listed for UK use, so the parts dept have to get them shipped from Germany. For that you need a parts manager with a bit of brains willing to make an effort. Try quoting him the part number from the screenshot, (make sure you choose the 15" one) and if that doesn't work try a different VW dealership. Best of luck!

View attachment 6781
Ok thanks for the information John. I will forward that onto my dealer tomorrow. That’s a big help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Happy to help. Looks like the part number for a single 15" wheel is 1SO.071.495.A.8Z8
Yes I’ve sent that on to my dealer. I don’t own the car yet but been on a test drive on Tuesday and said I would let them know on Friday. I asked them to look at a winter rim/ tyre combo as this is a deal breaker for me and they state VW GB don’t sell such a wheel. So I’ve sent the evidence to them to see if they can get any for me from Germany. Thanks again.

·
Registered
394 Posts
6Jx15 ET35 4x100 bolts 57.1 centrebore (hole in the middle) made by 'Alcar' will fit too, but they are steel. They are the Alcar 8950 model.
185/55/R15 tyres on top. Would fit 195 width probably.

I have these now and they are great. No worries about damaging expensive alloys with the salt. On in December, off in March.

75 Euros each before shipping but including 20% tax (Brexit)

·
Registered
7 Posts
6Jx15 ET35 4x100 bolts 57.1 centrebore (hole in the middle) made by 'Alcar' will fit too, but they are steel. They are the Alcar 8950 model.

I have these now and they are great. No worries about damaging expensive alloys with the salt. On in December, off in March.

Well thanks for the info. No fouling callipers etc. What wheel nuts do I need?

·
Registered
394 Posts
A few here:

I don't have mine on the vehicle right now.

Also pictures on here:

·
Registered
7 Posts
A few here:

I don't have mine on the vehicle right now.

Also pictures on here:
Thank you. Great help. All the best mate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If anyone is interested, I bought my VW Merano 15 inch alloys on line from the Inchcape VW dealer in Chester. They sell them on their website at £130 each. The image on their website shows a wheel with five wheel nuts, which is incorrect, they have four and come with a booklet that states they are the official winter fitment for all UP models including the Gti. The part number is as John H quotes above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Morning. I have a full set of genuine VW Merano alloy wheels and fitted with Falken Eurowinter tyres for the GTI brand new never been fitted, sold car now,if anyone is interested see the for sale section. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
The after market steel wheel is made by the known manufacturer Alcar and the wheel is of top quality.

I bought some original VW hub caps for the wheels. There are two versions available. I've chosen the one with separate lug nut covers.
Parts numbers are 871 601 171 for the cap and 321 601 173 A 01C for the nut cover. I paid € 38 for four caps and € 13 for 20 nut covers including the removal tool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have just purchased a new UP GTI, 3 door in Silver and am in the process of fitting some Alcar 8950 15inch steel wheels with all season tyres and I am a bit perplexed about fitment of the 871 601 171 hub covers.

Am I right in thinking they are held in place with the wheel bolts and need to be fitted prior to the wheel bolt fitment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Love the car, havent enjoyed driving so much since my teenage years and that was many years ago !!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was interested in the Alcar 8950 (G60) Steels for my GTI when it arrives (It will be a long 7 months to wait). Both for Winter and as a Spare wheel. Can anyone confirm they fit in the spare wheel well correctly? Also any issues with insurance?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was interested in the Alcar 8950 (G60) Steels for my GTI when it arrives (It will be a long 7 months to wait). Both for Winter and as a Spare wheel. Can anyone confirm they fit in the spare wheel well correctly? Also any issues with insurance?
They look great OhNoCoco even without the centre caps fitted, kind of retro feel about the car now and the ride is much improved. I advised my insurance and they just noted it on the policy...... better to be safe than sorry I always think.

Sorry I cant help with the Spare Wheel question as mine seems to be full of audio tech!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
They look great OhNoCoco even without the centre caps fitted, kind of retro feel about the car now and the ride is much improved. I advised my insurance and they just noted it on the policy...... better to be safe than sorry I always think.

Sorry I cant help with the Spare Wheel question as mine seems to be full of audio tech!!!
You didn’t rip out the Sub to try? 😂
Thanks for the information - I have seen a few photos and really like the retro look!
Which tyres did you select? I am planning on all weather tyres to cover the cold, wet and very occasionally snowy winter months in Scotland.

441 - 460 of 494 Posts