Up Owners Club banner
461 - 480 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
When I have my winter wheels on, I have an original 17" & tyre in the spare wheel well, they fit perfectly too

Reactions: OhNoCoco

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, I have just purchased a new UP GTI, 3 door in Silver and am in the process of fitting some Alcar 8950 15inch steel wheels with all season tyres and I am a bit perplexed about fitment of the 871 601 171 hub covers.

Am I right in thinking they are held in place with the wheel bolts and need to be fitted prior to the wheel bolt fitment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Love the car, havent enjoyed driving so much since my teenage years and that was many years ago !!
Sennen,
Did you get any help with fitting your centre caps to the Alcar Steelies? I see there appears to be 2 types - 1 with separate nut covers and the 2nd with nut covers as part of the centre cap. Just wondered how you got on!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have spent most of this morning sorting it out and have finally managed it.!!

Just to recap the wheels were Alcar 8950 6 x15 ET 35 from Tunershop.
The bolts were Black M12 x 1,5 60 Taper from Ebay.
The locking bolts were the same size in black from Ebay.
Tyres Continental 185/55R All Aeason from a local tyre guy.
The Hubs were SKU 871 601 171 from Heritage parts Centre.

The knack was to loosen off all the bolts and remove 2 adjacent bolts and then place the centre cap and replace the bolts. I found doing the bolts up slightly in rotation the best way of securing the caps. I torqued at 110NM and am currently running 32PSI front and 30 rear. I am very happy with the results. I will try and post some pictures.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Excellent - definitely a retro (Mk 1 Golf) vibe. Plus the cost of the wheels cheaper than getting the alloys reconditioned after a couple of salty winters. The tyres are free because you don‘t wear out the summer tyres.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all & thanks to all the contributors for the great info in this thread.
I’m about to order a set of the Alcar 8950 15” steel wheels for my wife’s Gti, can anyone give some recommendations on wheel trims for them? The official VW ones I’ve seen cost more than the wheels!

Many thanks
Jason

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Alcars and just about to put them on for the winter.
Ditch the trims and go for old skool, poverty spec, council van steel wheels with just the bolts, look.

Honest and ultra cool.

"yeah, this is my GTI, see how I drive it through the snow."

Also don't wash it until March

:)

Bonus marks for fitting these green wheel nut indicators

Thanks Doc, this really made me laugh at work yesterday & as my daily driver is a work van, I’m fully onboard with the down n’ dirty steel wheel vibe 🤣

·
Registered
15 Posts
Still a long wait before I get my GTI but have read all the posts about spare/winter wheels. I assume/hope the Alcar & tyre (185/55?) fits safely in the spare wheel well?
Our car should be with us at the end of this month, so if no one has answered before then, I’ll let you know but I’m sure I’ve read that the standard 17” wheel/tyre fits in the well.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
And yes the 17" standard wheel/tyre fits too.

461 - 480 of 494 Posts